Sunday, June 04, 2006

Back to Sunny London

I’m back. It was a really good holiday, I spoke to a friend on the phone while I was away who said I sounded so much happier than I had in ages. The return to London wasn’t entirely welcome but it has been pretty good so far.

Anyway, it was great to get away from it all and spend time surrounded by mountains and lochs. I don’t think I said before but I was actually in Ullapool which is in North West Scotland. I have never been so far north in the UK before and it was lovely.

We flew to Aberdeen, which is just under 200 miles from Ullapool, because it was considerably cheaper to fly there than to Inverness. As an aside it was also far cheaper to fly British Airways than Easyjet. Some friends also flew to Aberdeen but on Easyjet and they booked weeks before me and paid a lot more than I did. We then hired a car and drove from Aberdeen to Ullapool, picking up another friend in Inverness and taking the opportunity to eat some fish and chips in the car. I’m dead classy I am.

It’s very light that far north and even though we didn’t arrive at the place we were staying until don 9.30pm, there was still plenty of daylight.

It was a very relaxed week, there were 10 of us plus two children and we could do as much or as little as we wanted. I was actually a bit under the weather while I was away, which started with rather a sore throat and turned into a horrible cold, which I still have. This was probably due to walking through snow and hail one of the days, but I’ll post about that in the next day or so.

Regardless it was a great time away, with fantastic views, good company and lots of time to relax. Marvellous.

Sadly, I didn’t bring you back a present as they wouldn’t let me take a real live Highland cow on the plane, but the thought was there.

Oh and I am, of course, pleased to see the return of The Gripes of Wrath. Sounds like an excuse for me to eat some cake in celebration. Woo hoo!

No comments: