Friday, June 09, 2006

You can tell it's summer

Yesterday was the first day I hadn’t worn a jumper or similar item to work all year, so I must really believe summer is here. Today I am even wearing short sleeves. Fortunately I was in a very cheerful mood on the way in this morning as my journey to work was going well but suddenly ground to a halt due to traction problems on the tube. They then shut all the doors on the tube so no-one could get off, which was kind of strange, and then when we finally were allowed off the train, I had come up with a route that meant taking totally the wrong train and then hopping on a bus and arriving at work about 30 minutes late to work - not that we have to be in before 10 anyway. Strangely the extra time in the sunshine seems to have still left me in a reasonably good mood anyway.

Right so what is happening on the house buying front? I’ve decided to look for somewhere on my own for now because I have no idea what will happen with the friend who suggested we might buy together. She is away for another few weeks yet and then may have to wait a few months to be eligible for a mortgage as she will have to get a job when she’s back. I can always revise the plan and look with her if I don’t have any success on my own. If we did buy together, we would have a far more 50:50 split on buying it whereas it would have been 80:20 with my other friend (with me having the larger portion), which would means we could get somewhere bigger.

While I was on holiday a financial adviser called me to say that I will be able to get a mortgage without any problem and I was also very shocked at the rather large amount of money that I would be able to borrow. That plus my deposit should mean I can get somewhere nice. However, I have never been in debt in my life and the prospect of taking on a mortgage does not fill me with joy, so I am not keen to take on a vast amount of debt.

Anyway, tomorrow I am off to see two properties. One of them is more than I want to spend but is worth a look anyway and apparently they might be willing to lower the price for someone who can move quickly. Until now I have been looking at bigger places as I was looking with my friend, so I have no feel for what to expect from somewhere I could afford on my own, so at least it will start to get me thinking. One of my fears is that I will just be convinced by the estate agents banter and he’ll persuade me that something the size of a shoebox is my ideal purchase. So I’m leaving my chequebook at home and taking my sister along for protection and we’ll see what happens.

No comments: