Monday, June 12, 2006

Glimpsing the future

I feel like I had a good weekend. Starting looking at places to buy on my own made me feel like I do have some vague control of some part of my life. Of course I have to actually buy somewhere to really have sorted this, but we’ll call that a technicality for now.

I went over to my parents’ house yesterday as they were going out for lunch with a couple of people to celebrate my father’s birthday (which was last week). My father walks incredibly slowly and is generally slow about most things – thinking of the answer to any question, just talking generally etc. When we went to the restaurant the waitress kept asking him questions as though she couldn’t quite work out what was wrong with him and as though she couldn’t quite work out whether she should work out who his carer was and ask them instead. He just seems to be getting less capable as time goes on, but I think his biggest problem is that he keeps making his world smaller and smaller and isn’t willing to take a risk on anything. *note to self – take more risks or see your future unfolding in front of you…*

My mum really made me laugh though. I was at their house after the meal and dad was asleep on the sofa and mum appeared to be sticking two fingers up at him. When she checked what she was doing, she said that as tempting as it was to stick two fingers up at my dad she was in fact making shadow animals on the sofa because the sun was shining in behind her. Sure enough she had perfected a number of animals and proudly showed me a kangaroo, baby alligator and a crocodile (don’t get those two muddled up). I then suggested other animals and she came up with a pug dog, a jaguar and various birds. What talent. You’d probably have to have been there to quite appreciate this though – but even without being there you might gather that my mother is entirely insane at times. Have I once again glimpsed my future?

No comments: