Monday, August 07, 2006

All in one piece

Back to work today and I was actually on call this weekend, but apart from having to deal with some stuff on Friday night I wasn’t disturbed at all. I hope that continues because I hate getting disturbed in the middle of the night. My head of unit has been off all week but is back in the office as of lunch time today. I did actually speak to her briefly on the phone last night – and in fact several times while she was on leave, but at least I have an idea of what to expect when she is back. My concern this week though is that I have a reasonably new member of staff and I am being absolutely atrocious at managing him at the moment. That’s partly because I keep getting asked by my head of unit to do other work and also because the work we do seems to change so often that it is difficult to tell someone what their job is if you’re not entirely clear yourself. Anyway, this week, I really need to put some thought into it and set him some objectives and give him some decent guidance on what he should be doing because he must be bored out of his mind. I think this might involve some serious lateral thinking to come up with a decent bit of work for him to do though.

Anyway, I managed to make it through the weekend without killing or maiming my nephew. I think that is quite an achievement. We will brush over the incident of him getting into the cupboard that contained the chemicals for the aquarium. Least said soonest mended...

I may have the answer to where my nephew stands on the age old debate of “marmite – love it or hate it?” He wandered into the living room at one point intently licking the marmite jar. I did persuade him to return the jar to the cupboard but his actions seem to show he has made the right choice on which view to hold. I think we also have to be grateful that it wasn’t the aquarium chemicals he was licking. *thinks* We were going to move on from that weren’t we?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on leaving him in one piece! And you so lucked out on the chemicals thingy.He must like you...

You could always set new employee a task asking him what he wants from his time at the company and what he wants to achieve. Then you get a day to read and digest and come up with a plan.

Hey presto - an extra day's thinking time!

Random Reflections said...

I'm hoping my nephew doesn't grow an extra head or anything like that, as my sister might notice.

Good plan on the task for the new person in my team. I might just give it a go...