Friday, August 25, 2006

Possibilities

I was reading a news story yesterday about a Chinese funeral where people were arrested for stripping at the funeral. Stripping at a funeral? How inappropriate you may think, but they were actually there as part of the ‘entertainment’. Apparently the more people who turn up to your funeral the more status you get from this, so people have started to hire troupes of strippers to get people to turn up to pay their last respects. I suspect their may be more people sitting in the back row than elsewhere at those funerals *cough*

It was all looking a bit shaky whether I was going to Siberia at the end of September. My head of unit seemed to think that she would quite like to go, I think she saw it as a bit of a ‘swan song’ as she is retiring at the beginning of October. But as it turns out she can’t go, so she asked me yesterday if I “wouldn’t mind” going instead. I told her that I would indeed be willing to make that sacrifice and might even bring her back a bottle of vodka so she could share in the experience. I’m going with someone else from work who fortunately can actually speak Russian and I think we are going to fly to Moscow and maybe have a quick visit there and then fly on to Siberia. I think the latter journey will mean flying on some dodgy Russian airline so I may well die, but at least I will have got to visit Russia. *makes note* remember to request no strippers at my funeral.

My landlady has gone away for the weekend and is probably not back until Tuesday, so I have a peaceful, non-underwear tampered weekend ahead. It also means that if I want to get in any practice in case I plan to attend any Chinese funerals then this weekend would be the perfect opportunity. *thinks* It would be best to check that the estate agent wasn’t planning on showing anyone around the house first though. I suspect my weekend will be rather more mundane than that but I *could* do that if I want to. The world is indeed full of possibilities. Some less likely than others, but possibilities nonetheless.

No comments: