Monday, August 21, 2006

Drafting

I shall illustrate how ‘urgent’ that letter was that I had to draft last week for my head of unit and quite how much things run on double standards where I work. Since I gave the letter to my head of unit last Tuesday, she hasn’t even looked at it. When my head of unit gets something in her mind then she gets obsessed by it until you’ve done whatever she wants and then it doesn’t matter how long she takes to deal with it. Anyway, today I think we are going to finalise it, so it is likely to be a tortuous day of her dictating over my shoulder and “drafting by committee” which means that she will ask various different people if we have put the right emphasis in a sentence or used the correct syntax and so on. You just have to blank your mind of everything or else you’d tear your hair out. It’ll be over soon though.

Twice in the last couple of weeks my mobile has ring and it has been a landline number that I don’t know. When I have answered the phone, all I can hear is a ringing tone on the line. I’ve hung up because I don’t really want to get through to some number that I haven’t even called and I do wander if it might be some scam that somehow charges a really expensive call to my mobile. I phoned my mobile phone company and asked them about it. They seemed totally unfussed and just said it might be a crossed line. Maybe they’re right, but it’s really odd that it has never happened before and then happened twice in as many weeks.

In exciting news (for me at least), I have booked a ticket for Snow Patrol’s concert in December. I have never been to a concert before (well classical music concerts - yes, those fangled new popular beat combos – no) so it will be a whole new experience for me. I am actually going on my own. There was a friend who would go with me but it wasn’t possible to get two seats together, so it was a bit pointless because she was going to come along more for moral support than that she desperately wanted to see them. So, I’m going to my first concert all on my own. I hope I can work out what to do. Maybe there are lots of things that more seasoned concert goers would know and they’ll just laugh at me for my naiveté. Or maybe they’ll actually be more interested in Snow Patrol, as despite any evidence to the contrary the whole world doesn’t *actually* revolve around me. Anyway, I’m really looking forward to that and I plan to take that week off work, as it is the week in the run up to Christmas, so that’s already one exciting thing to do with my week off. Planning for Christmas already, what is the world coming to?

No comments: