Saturday, December 16, 2006

Busy

So, keys were collected and I wandered to my new home, put the key in the door and let myself in. Fortunately, my first thought was not “Oh dear… what have I done?”, so that was a relief. The vendor had left me a nice note saying that she hoped that I was as happy living there as she had been, which I thought was kind of her.

I have a busy time ahead, I need to buy some appliances – but only the minimum right now as the sales are imminent and it seems daft to pay more than I need to. Sensible people would use their Saturday constructively moving boxes and unpacking things. Whilst there will be *some* moving of boxes and unpacking, I am actually meeting up with my sister later and we’re going to see ‘Dirty Dancing’. I surprise myself at quite how laid back I can be about things and should perhaps work out my priorities more clearly, but I figure I can move over several days but it would be a shame to miss out on meeting up with my sister.

The only problem last night was that when I got back to my house (as in where I normally live) I realised that there were some lights on in the house. I did start to wonder if yet another stranger has turned up and taken occupation but then I saw my landlady’s car and realised that she must have come home for the weekend. She had already turned the heating down by the time I got home but appeared to be saving even more power than normal because there were no lights on in the living room and instead she was using candles. “She must have really fallen on hard times” I thought, but it seems that actually the lights had fused in the living room and she said she’d not got the energy to find out which bulb had caused it. I asked her “why didn’t you just switch the fuse back on and then you’d be able to see which bulb doesn’t work?” and she looked at me blankly, so I went and switched the power back on and she seemed amazed by this. If only it was normally so easy to impress people.

No comments: