Sunday, December 10, 2006

Caution

Despite my planning ahead, I did end up going back to Oxford Street yesterday. This was partly because my landlady asked me if I would go and buy a shirt for her son because she wouldn’t have the time to get him a Christmas present. I do know her son, but not very well, and I spent ages looking at various shirts to come up with something suitable. I reckoned that even if he hated the colour he’d appreciate the one I picked because it was non-iron.

I managed to get a couple more presents as well but the thing that made me feel as though I’d had an amazingly successful day was that I managed to get some little Christmas figures to go on a cake. I’d been looking for some for the last few weeks and had commissioned various people to keep an eye out for them but couldn’t find anywhere that sold them. But yesterday I thought I’d try Sainsbury’s and they had various figures to choose from, so I am now the proud owner of a Father Christmas, a snowman and a couple of Christmas trees. Being a domestic goddess, these will feature on a chocolate log that I will whip up in the next couple of weeks.

I also went to the Science Museum briefly. Incidentally if you want to buy some gadgety type gifts then that is a really great place to go and get them. Anyway, I actually went there because I wanted to know when they are showing the Imax film of Polar Express. If it had been on about the sort of time I’d got there I would have stayed and watched it but as it turned out I would have had to wait over an hour. I actually decided that I would take my mum to go and see it and so will try and go back some time in the next couple of weeks to do that.

Last night I was at my parents’ house and managed to write all the cards that need posting and so am just left with the ones that I will send to a few people at work etc. What with moving house imminently I just feel as though I really need to get my act together on these things or else I won’t do them at all.

But let me close with two cautionary tales. First, if you are tempted to open your Christmas presents early then you should be aware that this is now an arrestable offence, apparently. Second, on a non-Christmas note, if you have digestion problems and intend to fly you may wish to consider in advance how you might cover up any ‘odours’ other than by starting small fires.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are not worthy! Getting your cards done AND planning to bake a chocolate log - you are indeed a domestic goddess.

Random Reflections said...

Hi Saesnes

*laughs* Not so much a domestic goddess more just thinking Christmas will be here and I'll either have forgotten to move house or have a pile of unwritten Christmas cards. Having said that, I have wrapped two presents today so that is maybe a bit domestic goddess-like.

I don't know how much baking of the chocolate log there will be. Swiss rolls can be very difficult to make- if you time it wrong when you go to roll it up it just cracks and crumbles. So a trip to Tesco might be needed for that bit, but I imagine I will post a photo of the finished effort and you can see the end result.

Anonymous said...

Is buying a shirt for your landlady's son the modern equivalent of getting your boss's wife's birthday present, by any chance?

Random Reflections said...

Hmm, I hadn't thought of it like that - are you suggesting I am my landlady's bitch??

Anonymous said...

Do you lick your christmas card envelopes ?
...
> You have all been warned!!!!!
>
> A woman was working in a post office in California. One day she licked
> the envelopes and postage stamps instead of using a sponge. That very
> day the lady found a cut on her tongue. A week later, she noticed an
> abnormal swelling of her tongue. She went to the doctor, and they
found > nothing wrong. Her tongue was not sore or anything. A couple of days
> later, her tongue started to swell more, and it began to get really
> sore, so sore, that she could not eat. She went back to the hospital,
> and demanded something be done. The doctor took an x-ray of her tongue
> and noticed a lump. He prepared her for minor surgery. When the doctor
> cut her tongue open, a live cockroach crawled out!!!! There were
> cockroach eggs on the seal of the envelope. The egg was able to hatch
> inside of her tongue, because of her saliva. It was warm and moist...
>
> This is a true story reported on CNN.
>

Random Reflections said...

Eek! How horrible... Fortunately the cards I bought all had self seal envelopes.

I see I shall have to employ someone to lick envelopes for me in future though.

*resists the urge to make some highly inappropriate jokes*

Anonymous said...

Random, you should never resist the urge! ;-)
...
PS. Now, where will we find this chocolate log and left over Easter eggs in your landlady's house?

Random Reflections said...

TF- My whole life is marked by resisting urges!

So... you are obviously one of the people with a key to my house. I see...

The last Easter egg is still under my bed but to get to the chocolate log you'll have to get the key to my new place as well, as it is there that I will be whipping up that culinary delight.