Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Stranger at the door



I’m beginning to wonder if pretty much everyone has a key to where I live. I would suspect that the cat was inviting in any stranger who happened to knock on the door, but the cat moved to Cardiff this weekend and so is off the hook. I got home Friday night to find that someone had been in the house - it turned out to be the surveyor. Then I got home last night and someone else had been in the house and left a parcel in the hall - I assume that it was a neighbour trying to be helpful.

A seemingly endless amount of people appear to have access to the house and wander in and out at will. I think an electrician is coming round on Wednesday, my landlady’s dad will be there Thursday, my landlady’s son might be about at the weekend. I have to tell you dear reader that I am beginning to suspect that even *you* may have a key to my house. If you do happen to drop by, do make yourself at home – have a cup of tea, put the TV on and I’ll be home about 7, so if you could have my dinner ready for then that would be appreciated.

I phoned my solicitor yesterday to check that the money I am transferring has been ending up in his bank account rather than making some stranger very rich. I am transferring the remainder of the money across in advance of completion on Friday and have had to set up several payments in order to complete the transaction. I’m not entirely sure what I would have done if I had found out that the money had disappeared into the ether – nor, for that matter, what I would do if one day I found mysterious sums of money had turned up in my own bank account. Anyway, given today’s theme of giving people access to my home, possessions etc, why not have a free for all on my money as well??

By the way the photo above is of the little figures I bought to go on the chocolate log to help you get into the Christmas spirit.

No comments: