Saturday, December 02, 2006

Out of Africa

I’m back sunned, relaxed, rested and recuperated. I had a very good time away which I’ll write about over the next few days. To give a brief taster though, there were marriage proposals - including my friend’s dad trying to sell me for three cows (let me tell you, I am worth so much more than that!), there were lizards, there were cold showers, there were boat trips without being sick (woo hoo!), and I have a whole new understanding of “en suite bathroom” *shudder* Only a photo will be able to convey this though. So I’ll have to send off my photos to be developed.

When I was about to leave for my friend’s parents’ house last Thursday night the cat decided that she would show how much she would miss me by doing a poo on the living room carpet. It was obviously very touching that she was so distressed at me leaving but not what I wanted to be dealing with at that moment. I did, however, resist the urge to leave it there for my landlady to clear up. When I headed to the airport yesterday I did suggest to my friend that she would have to find some way to surpass the cat’s way of conveying her distress at me leaving but she politely declined to share in the same way, so we just gave each other a hug instead. You’ve got to take what you can get.

I’ve now returned to Christmas being even more obvious here in the UK. The Gambia is mainly Muslim so there was no real sign of it there at all. But as we are now in December, I officially give people permission to mention the word. It also means the return of 'Tis the season which may help you to get into the festive mood. The archives are very funny if you have the chance to browse them.

No comments: