Thursday, December 28, 2006



I seem to have very nice and friendly neighbours. On Christmas Eve one neighbour came round and gave me a card and a box of chocolates and then yesterday another neighbour came round to talk to me about rubbish collection - which may not sound nice but she had spoken to the council and asked them when the rubbish was likely to be collected and having discovered that we’d already missed it offered to take my rubbish to the dump for me. It was slightly surreal because we were both standing there in our nightclothes having this conversation. Very friendly neighbours indeed…

I am (hopefully) truly on the final, final stages of decorating and will be able to sleep in my bedroom again tonight. I have been sleeping on a mattress on the living room floor since about Saturday and everywhere is a bit of a state, so I am looking forward to getting things a bit sorted. I also fitted a new doorbell and went out and bought a hoover (is that a very British word? It’s a vacuum cleaner). How much more exciting can my life get?

It’s rare that I have *really* strong opinions on things. I tend to just go through life in a reasonably tolerant way , but I have found something that I find truly offensive and find inexcusable - and that thing is bathroom carpet. There is just something so wrong about bathroom carpet. I assume people think it is a good idea because on cold winter mornings it means that your feet don’t get cold. But, investing in a pair of slippers would be preferable. Bathroom carpets must be one of the most unhygienic things in a house. Think of what happens when you get out of the shower and dry yourself with a towel - all that dead skin comes off and lodges itself in the carpet. If you live with anyone who is male, their aim may well not be quite up to scratch when they go to the loo - need I go on. I have carpet in my bathroom and will be getting that changed when I get the chance. Until then I will be making good use of my hoover. I did actually hoover the carpet last night and a smell of cat wee wafted up. Lovely.

Oh and the photo is of the chocolate log I made, which was delicious, even though I do say so myself, but as you are unlikely ever to know one way or the other then it could have been utterly disgusting and I might just be lying. I have, however, been commissioned to make another by mother for when the relatives come over on Saturday. However, she might just think I am her “simple” child and be getting me to provide something creative and it was either a cake or a clay model interpretation of one of my uncles. Safest to stick with the cake I think. Is it just me or do they look like they are trying to flag down a passing helicopter?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should replace Merry Christmas with SOS...

Random Reflections said...

Good point, perhaps I'll try that for the one I'm making for Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Save a slice for Easter ! ;-)

Random Reflections said...

I will stash it next to the Easter Eggs that still need eating up. Can't let it go to waste!

Anonymous said...

Random , I can't believe you transported those Easter Eggs to your new abode.

Random Reflections said...

I know, I know. I despair of myself sometimes...

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't be too hard on yourself.... a girl has to have some vices :-)

Random Reflections said...

I guess my vices could be much worse than chocolate, perhaps 2007 will be a year in which I finally manage to unwrap the final egg - and hopefully in advance of Easter...