Monday, July 30, 2007

A good time was had by all




So, I’ve returned from my hols and it’s back to work today. Boo! But I’m not in the office today. Hooray! But that’s because I have to go and give a talk. Boo! I have mixed feelings about being back…

The time away was great. G and I go on really well and although there was mixed weather at times, generally we had sunshine when we needed it. We also stayed in a lovely guest house right on the seafront at Bournemouth and ate more food than I would ever have imagined possible, even by my standards. We just seemed to be continually eating and would start off each day with a really nice breakfast where we were staying, then roll off down the road to go and eat lunch, then go and have lie down for a bit to recover and then roll off down the road again for dinner. We spent most of the time in Bournemouth wandering along by the sea or in the town or up near Beachy Head, but we also went to Brighton on Friday and had a very nice (three course) lunch there.

It turns out that I have a fairly decent Glasgow accent (which is where G is from) and I spent large amounts of time scaring G with it or my Highlands accent, although it did on occasion turn into something from Newcastle. You see, if you run out of conversation you don’t have to fill the silence by proposing, you can just say the same thing again with an accent. It works for me anyway.

I actually felt a bit miserable when I got back last night and G went home. G is starting a new job in just over a week’s time and is off work until then and I am now going back to work, which is a bit annoying. Still I got loads done last week and am really pleased with the hall and the bathroom and the dishwasher, although, by comparison to the hall, the kitchen now looks dark, but I don’t think I can bring myself to repaint that. You’ll hear it here if I change my mind though. I bet you can hardly wait.

So, anyway, it’s off to work I go – and after my talk I shall spend the rest of the meeting thinking of the next place to go on holiday (oh and now I think about it tomorrow is actually my birthday so I imagine I may summon myself out of my stupor to celebrate). Anyway, in the meantime you can look at this site that in its own strange way seems to sum up my feelings about going back to work. Keep on clicking…

2 comments:

DAB said...

Happy Birthday for tomorrow... I'm now going to enlighten you with the following true facts(this is better than a tacky birthday card!)
.
These happened on the 31st July
.
1910
Dr Crippen, wanted for the murder of his wife, is arrested aboard the SS Montrose as it docks at Quebec, Canada at the end of its voyage from Britain. The first criminal to be caught by the use of radio.
.
1950
Opening of Britain's first self-service supermarket - Sainsbury's, in Croydon, south London.
.
1989 Under Secretary of State for the Environment Virginia Bottomley announced that Britain was to spend £10 million on research in an attempt to understand weather and climatic change.
.
Have a good day,be naughty!

Random Reflections said...

TF - Thanks. Who knew I had so much in common with Dr Crippen, Croydon and Virginia Bottomley - I got a letter from her once incidentally.

I'll try and be as naughty as possible!