Tuesday, July 10, 2007

If all else fails

My tiredness continues, not helped by me having to spend most of the afternoon sitting through an extremely mind-bendingly boring meeting that ended up going on until 6pm. I almost lost the will to live and was in a bad mood for the rest of the evening. A friend sent me a text to ask if I wanted to meet up for a cuppa but I replied and said not because I felt too grumpy. We’re meeting up ion Thursday now, by which time hopefully I will have returned to serenity and be the picture of composure rather than wanting to kill anyone who crosses my path.

Anyway, I spent most of the evening sorting things out which included doing a massive pile of washing up (the dishwasher is almost ordered but there was a slight technical hitch in that it wasn’t in stock when I went to place my order. Grr…) and moving my computer from the living room to the back bedroom. The back bedroom still looks like a bomb has hit it so the next task is to get that into some vague order. This may take some time…

Tonight will not be the night to do that though as I am going over to G’s new place. Hopefully G will be feeling reasonably sane having has a job interview this afternoon. G has applied for various jobs and shouldn’t have a problem in getting one of them, but it is slightly unfortunate that the interview this afternoon is for the lowest paying one, but there’s another interview on Friday and I think there’ll be a few more in the not too distant future, so hopefully the right one will come along.

Last night G and I were talking about interview questions which included the classic (for which read irritating and pointless and one that I would never ask in an interview) question “what would you say is your biggest weakness?” Most people go for the standard approach of saying something that is actually a positive but trying to make it sound as though it is something they struggle with - like saying they are a perfectionist and so on. The other way to do it is to pick an example that has nothing to do with work. So you choose something like “when I go away on holiday I can only speak English and I think it’s important to speak other languages, so now I’m learning Spanish” or something along those lines and then you sound all proactive. However G is actually reasonably good at languages and being a Scot is doing pretty well at learning English. So I did suggest G reply by saying “I spend far too much time on the internet when I am at work” which might then suitably be followed up with “and sometimes I am too honest for my own good”. However, we concluded that this possibly was not the best approach. So I think the final conclusion was to fall back on the approach that we all need to keep in reserve for such occasions – lie. Just do it convincingly.

3 comments:

DAB said...

Lying is good, bullshit is even better. Interviews are the pits, tell G plenty of eye contact and smiles!

Drama Queen said...

"and being a Scot is doing pretty well at learning English"

*pah, waves a tartan fist at ya*

Random Reflections said...

Tf - G has another interview on Friday so I'll pass on the advice!

DQ- You Scots get everywhere - in fact I seem to work with about half the population of Scotland. I'm learning to duck many a tartan fist..