Monday, July 16, 2007

In tandem

Another tiring weekend. The wedding was good and, miraculously, the weather was lovely on Saturday and various people managed to get sun burned.

The wedding was at a large manor type house and it was a humanist ceremony, which I was entirely sure what that would involve, but it was a nice (and brief) service and then the couple dashed off to a registry office to make it all legal because the humanist ceremony had no legal basis, it was more their public declaration.

We all stayed at the house and drank and ate and soaked up some sunshine and then the couple arrived back about two hours later and cycled in on a tandem, which was very amusing. In the evening there was a hog roast and a ceilidh. I can assure you, I did not dance, despite G’s enthusiasm.

It was a nice enough day and very laid back. Had I gone to a wedding like that without knowing anyone there, I would have struggled because the formality of a sit down meal means that you are sat with people and usually end up chatting to them, but at this wedding you could wander round the grounds or in the house or do pretty much whatever you wanted and so if you were there without knowing other people, you’d have to have boldly gone up to people and started chatting to them. My idea of a nightmare come true…

Then yesterday we drove back through torrential rain and stopped for Sunday lunch on the way. I couldn’t believe the contrast in the weather to Saturday, but at least it was the right way round.

Today it’s back to work again but at least I know that at the end of this week I then have a week off – to do chores mind you, but I now have my dishwasher on order to arrive a week on Tuesday and so there is only one more week of washing up to be done. Yay!

No comments: