Thursday, July 05, 2007

Waiting

I am so tired this week. I was meant to go out last night but didn’t have the energy. I just stayed at home and glued my desk drawers together. It’s an exciting life.

Sometimes I despair at what a small world it is. Sometimes things happen and people’s paths cross and I find it disconcerting to see the connections. At times, for totally coincidental reasons, circumstances come together in ways that might not be anticipated. Sometimes it can be a good thing and be an opportunity and at others it can highlight that sometimes life just isn’t fair.

Anyway on other matters… yesterday, after nearly four months of waiting, Alan Johnston was released by his kidnappers. When Norman Kember was released from captivity last year, I quoted Konstantin Simonov and I quote it here again because it seems very apt.


Wait for me, and I’ll return.
Only wait very hard…
Wait.
For I’ll return, defying every death.
And let those who did not wait say that I was lucky.
They never will understand that in the midst of death,
You with your waiting saved me.
Only you and I know how I survived
It’s because you waited as no-one else did.




There's something so powerful about waiting. It might seem so passive and inconsequential and yet it can be this most life changing thing. A sign of love, loyalty, hope. There are things... people... a person... I still "wait" for in the hope that one day it might make that difference. Maybe one day, and so I wait.

2 comments:

DAB said...

If I should meet thee after long years, How should I greet thee? With silence and tears....
Lord Byron...
...
(above from book of poetry found today in charity shop, cost 50p, worth priceless

Random Reflections said...

TF- Thanks for that, it's spot on xx