Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A change is as good as a rest

It turns out that it is easier to have an exciting than I had realised. Well, it is according to the Metro newspaper. They had an article in it yesterday that had some suggestions of what you could do each day in order to get yourself out of a rut. Here’s what is suggests:

Day 1: Sleep the wrong way round in bed.

Ah… I see a problem here… if I did that I would be sleeping in a wardrobe. I can cope with sleeping my feet in a wardrobe, but my head seems a bit too much. I’d either wake up in the night and think I was in a coffin or would sit up trying to work out where I was and knock myself out.

Day 2: Eat something you convinced yourself you don’t like but haven’t tried in a while.

Hmm… the thing is that I will eat pretty much anything. I’m trying to apply my brain to think of something I really refuse to eat… I’m not very keen on some sea food, but I would eat prawns and squid and so on if I was presented with it. So I could maybe eat some new food that I’ve never tried before but I’m willing to do that anyway. I’m not so adventurous in other parts of my life, but to turn down any sort of food is just plain wrong and the less fussy you are the more you get to eat.

Day 3: Swap your iPod with someone else

Ah… another problem… I don’t actually own an iPod. I do own a radio that I listen to on the train sometimes, but I don’t think it’s quite the same because I could just retune my radio... Even if I did own an iPod I don’t actually have the technology to download music. I’m planning on buying a new computer soon so maybe I might get adventurous and start to download music at some point. I’m obviously getting reckless in my old age (well maybe).

Day 4: Buy some random ingredients from the supermarket and create a meal using the food you have bought

Now that I probably could do, although I wouldn’t bother to do it if it was just me, unless not having gone shopping for a bit and having to eat whatever weird combination of food there happens to be in the cupboard counts. When I lived at home with my parents, I used to cook dinner every night and would just look in the fridge and have to come up with something based on what I could find (not that we had a bare fridge, I mean that I hadn’t chosen any of the food so had to apply my imagination once I saw what was in there). So it’s not entirely beyond me to work with random ingredients. So now I just need to find a willing friend to experiment on…

Day 5: Visit somewhere you have never been before.

Well, I’m going to Siberia in a couple of weeks time *gets all excited* but that probably isn’t quite what they mean. I like wandering in London but probably end up in the same places again and again. So maybe I need to be a bit more adventurous and get to know a few more places and maybe venture beyond London on occasion. *mind starts to wander off to all the places I could visit* Actually getting round to doing it is going to be the challenge, but I might apply my brain to this one…

The other suggestions were:

Swap your top ten books films and songs with a friend. Each of you should then try something you would never usually read, watch or listen to.

I would actually have to work out what my ‘top tens’ actually were. I’m not sure I could come up with ten of each of those to swap with someone else, but I might see if I can come up with at least a shortlist.

Invite a few friends around for a meal and ask each of them to bring someone they know but others don’t.

That’s actually quite a good idea and could make for a really interesting evening. In the past I have invited friends of mine round who don’t know each other just because they know of each others existence and thought it would be nice for them to meet each other. That’s always worked quite well.

Of course it could also be a good way to meet someone to go out with… I know someone who decided that he needed to meet the woman of his dreams and so got friends to invite him and a friend of theirs who he had never met before round for dinner so that he could meet them. Either the first or the second time he did this, he met this really nice girl and they’re now married. I don’t think the suggestion was mean to be about pulling but I may as well try and get something in return if I am cooking dinner for some strangers!

Wake up an hour early to do something you never usually have time for.

Why would I want to wake up an hour early??! If I woke up early then I would just think “fantastic, I can sleep in for another hour!”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Day 2: Eat something you convinced yourself you don’t like but haven’t tried in a while.

Paris 2004.... 'frog legs, oysters and snails, tried them all, but do I want to repeat the experience?

Off to Prague in October, I wonder what culinary delights I will encounter?

Try climbing right upto the very top of St Pauls, London, now that's an adventure! Great view

Random Reflections said...

I think there are some experiences we should try only once...

I've been to Prague but don't remember eating anything particularly odd. Some nice stews though.

Good suggestion about St Paul's Thanks.