Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Deception and lies

I would have hoped my days of acting and deception were long gone, but sadly this is not the case. Not that I was ever much into acting, an occasional school play and the like, and as for the deception, well *thinks* I did once damage a library book and convinced the librarian that it wasn’t me who had done it. *shakes head* I know... that was very bad. It was an accident though. Honest.

Anyway, yesterday someone I work with asked me to do her a favour. Basically she has put in an offer on a house and is a bit sceptical about the estate agent, particularly as the property is still being advertised as for sale on their website. So basically she wanted me to call the estate agent and ask if it was possible to go and see the house. Given that it was meant to be taken off the market she wanted to see what the estate agent said if someone asked to view it. So I thought through some possible questions I might get asked – what if they wanted me to register with them? What if I ended up getting all flustered and making an appointment to see the house - or worse, putting in an offer?

So I phoned and the first time the estate agent hadn’t quite mastered the art of answering the phone and hung up on me. The second time he answered the phone but then didn’t speak. When I spoke he did then reply and I asked about the property and he said I’d have to ask someone else - who was on the phone. Letting the estate agent call me back when he was free would rather give the game away that I worked at the same place as my colleague and the whole evil deception would unravel in front of me. I said I’d call the estate agent back.

When I finally got through to the estate agent, he said that unfortunately the house had been taken off the market, so I couldn’t go and see it. He did offer to take my details and would call me if the situation changed. I politely declined. Anyway, that was actually it, apart from the gratitude of my colleague.

Look, it’s a *true* story, I didn’t say it was an *interesting* story.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha ! Ingenious use of Press Gang quote-idge at the end !

Random Reflections said...

Indeed - nice spot there. I wondered if you might pick it up!

Anonymous said...

I can spot a Press Gang quote at 20 paces ! *g*

PS. This may be a random question, but you didn't apply to join the Press Gang LJ community as 'miss_borgia' did you by any chance ? As I say, apologies for randomness if not....

Random Reflections said...

Obviously! Impressive.

No that wasn't me. Miss Borgia sounds like an interesting character though...

Anonymous said...

Ah that's okay then, it's just their journal was new/blank so we didn't approve and wanted to check it wasn't you !

Miss Borgia is the name Spike gives Lynda during one of their dubious investigative efforts in the name of journalism in Series 4.

Random Reflections said...

Ah right. I'm just about to revisit series 4, so it will all fall into place then.