Saturday, September 02, 2006

Clutter

The other night I was watching a programme about how to “dress a house” so that it is easier to sell. This turned out to be a mistake, as my landlady kept coming into the room to watch bits of it and seems to have rather taken it to heart. She spent last night stripping the house of all personal effects and clutter and “grouping” things and basically slavishly following the advice on this programme. All the photos have disappeared and a whole load of other stuff has been turfed out. Fortunately she hasn’t turned her attention to my room yet, but I fear I may have to barricade the door. It might not only be my underwear that she is after.

On Thursday night, J, a friend from university stayed over and I warned her about the dangers of engaging in conversation with my landlady about the house. My landlady could talk the hind leg off a donkey when it comes to talking about the history of the house and so on. Sure enough Friday morning my landlady tried to quiz J on what she thought of the house. She wanted to know what J thought of the room, how it was presented, what was off-putting about it and so on and J just tried to avoid answering the questions. She didn’t think it was entirely polite to say “your problem is that the rooms are tiny and people have to sleep with their feet in a wardrobe, but maybe if you put away all your photos people won’t notice.”

Anyway, nice day ahead, WWDD is coming over later for lunch and a bit of Press Gang DVD watching and then I think we’re going out somewhere to eat cake. I could have sounded as though I have *loads* of friends but as WWDD said on her blog yesterday that’s what we’re doing, I guess I’d better tell the truth. Then this evening I am meant to be going to a barbecue, but as torrential rain is forecast, I’m not sure that is likely to be happening but I’ll check later. Any day that features lots of food is bound to be a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Press Gang!!! Oh YES!!! Can I come?

I fell head over heels with Julie Sawawawawhala many years ago as she sneered at the American bloke and stropped around. I promise not to dribble.

Random Reflections said...

You certainly can, but please keep the dribbling to a minimum.

You even get a cat as a free gift to take away with you. Do keep it away from Imp's dog though.