Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Picture the scene

I did the eye drops for the chap I sit next to again and my accuracy was once again commended. However, we were alarmed yesterday morning when we saw in the Metro newspaper some chap who makes his eyeballs bulge and has got some world record for it. Don’t look at this link if you’re a bit squeamish (there are worse pictures than this, but I have been kind(ish). The ones of him in profile are even more freaky). Anyway, when you have just undergone a major eye operation that includes having had your eyeball removed, it maybe isn’t what you want to see on the way into work.

Anyway, picture the scene. It’s been a long day at working, finally getting to head home at 8pm. You hop on the tube and make pretty decent time and decide to catch up with a friend on the phone while you’re no your way home. You’re chatting away and when you finally get to your house, you notice that all the lights are on. Is your landlady back early from holiday? Have you forgotten to turn off all the lights when you went out in the morning? Has someone gone into the house who you don’t know – and maybe is still there?

So this is the scene that presented itself to me yesterday evening. I opened the front door thinking there must be a rational explanation and wandered about the house noticing how many lights there were on all over the place, including lights that I would never normally turn on. Not only that, but someone had picked up the post, drawn the curtains in the living room, and bolted shut the utility room door – a door that is left permanently open.

Even now I have absolutely no idea who had been in the house. Logically it was probably an estate agent, but why would they draw the curtains? Why would they leave all the lights on when they left? Why would they bolt a door shut? So I have no idea who it was or why they had done the things that they did. Very, very strange.

After I had wandered about checking a few things I decided there wasn’t a lot I could do, so I picked up my work bag to get something out of it and noticed a large dead spider under it. I went and got the hoover to get rid of it and just as I went to hoover it up realised it was not in fact dead but alive and well and about to scarper, but fortunately I managed to hoover it up anyway. *evil laugh*

It was an odd day yesterday.

1 comment:

Random Reflections said...

I did warn you! Not for the squeamish, which includes me really...