Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Position Vacant

Sometimes I wonder if the reason I don’t like my job, is not (just) that it isn’t a good place to work, but that I actually just don’t like working. Maybe it is no more complicated than that. Maybe, whatever I did for a living, I would always reach a point where I decided I wanted to do something else – or, more probably, wanted to do nothing.

I can see myself living a life of leisure - going out for lunch, shopping during the day, maybe taking a course here and there, catching up with people who are also wise enough not to work. But there’s that little thing called money, which is particularly pressing as I am about to take on rather a large mortgage and the building society tends to frown upon not having the means by which to repay it.

So I think ideally I would like to find someone to financially support me. Not necessarily someone I was in a relationship with (although two for the price of one sounds kind of handy), maybe just a benefactor who saw me as an eminently worthy cause. I could even see if I qualify for charitable status. Failing that anyone who would be willing to pay my mortgage every month, or pay off the whole thing if they particularly wanted to. Then I could venture out into the big wide world knowing that I had a secure roof over my head to come back to any time the need arose.

Yes I rather like this idea. But sadly I think it may be an aspiration rather more difficult to fulfil than I might wish. All donations gratefully welcomed of course.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should put an advert in 'The Times' (obviously you will have to make it an offer they cannot refuse!)

Random Reflections said...

I'm just relieved you suggested a publication as highbrow as The Times - it could have been one of rather more questionable taste!

Anonymous said...

I thought it best to start off with the safer option first....

However, saying that, depending on the replies received, we may neeed to consider remarketing your pitch to the lower end of the market!(JOKE)

Lets hope 'The Times' come up with the goods..... TF