Thursday, September 07, 2006

The final countdown

This weekend my landlady sets off on holiday for two weeks. I cannot wait. It will be two weeks of peace and quiet, then when she gets back I am off to Russia a couple of days later anyway - and then less than two weeks after that she moves to Cardiff. Believe me, I am counting down…

A couple of night ago, I dared to do some washing. Sometimes I am just reckless and foolhardy like that. When the washing machine had finished I hung it all up and went upstairs. When I came back downstairs half an hour later she had moved all my washing about. It wasn’t that she had done any washing and needed more space, it was just because she is a control freak and likes touching my underwear it seems. Someone I work with reckons that my landlady has a fetish for trying on my washing while it is still wet. I will now be carefully rewashing all my underwear while she is away. My landlady even moved various socks that I had washed and instead of leaving them on the clothes drier put them on a coat hanger to dry. Confused? I certainly was. Maybe she is just insane and is trying to make me insane as well. Just make her stop. Please.

So… anyway… Work yesterday actually went quite well and I got a lot done. I spent most of the day marking application forms, as I foolishly agreed to help someone with some interviews. They’ve recently changed some aspects of the process and it is now so much harder to objectively mark the forms. I got there in the end though. So I got to the end of the day and put my papers away and so on and walked back to my desk to switch my computer off – and there was an e-mail from A.

I stood there and read the e-mail and I think it’s fair to say that it was not good news. I’ll explain more of my thoughts tomorrow, but last night I just switched off my computer and decided to go home. As I was about to leave, one of my colleagues looked at me and said “Are you alright? You look absolutely shattered” and I suppose I was really, I just didn’t realise it was so clearly written across my face. I tried to just brush it off but he came over and spoke to me for a couple of minutes. He then packed up his stuff and we went for a drink and a chat, which helped to restore my sanity a bit.

The words to a Stereophonics’ song keep going through my head “Maybe tomorrow I’ll find my way home”. I’m not 100% certain I can quite explain why that’s the case, but I think mainly it’s just my mind saying “maybe tomorrow you’ll find the peace that you want”. We’ll see.

No comments: