Sunday, September 03, 2006

Pleasant times

I had a really nice day yesterday and managed to pretty much dodge the raindrops throughout the day.

WWDD came over and we watched some episodes of Press Gang and went out and drank coffee and ate some cake. Through some crossed wires somewhere along the line, she did seem to offer my services to take the cat when my landlady moves to Cardiff. My landlady now seems very keen on this idea. It’s not that I mind having a cat but given that I go away with work quite a lot and will be living on my own, it’s not very helpful to have a cat, as I’d have to find some way to feed it whenever I go away. Anyway, we’ll have to see what happens on that one.

The barbecue was good and there were some people there who I hadn’t seen for ages, so we had a catch up. Amazingly it didn’t really rain while the barbecue was on, so it went better than feared because the weather forecast had been for torrential rain. A couple of people were trying to convince me to have a housewarming party when I move. We’ll see... I then went over to my parents’ as I needed to give a book to someone who was visiting them and I had a bit of dinner with them before going home feeling really worn out.

Today should be a pleasant day as I am meeting up with a couple of friends from school and we’re going to see a Spanish film. I can’t remember what the film is called at the moment but it is the Spanish film that has Penelope Cruz in it. It will be good to catch up with them both, I saw one of them a couple of weeks ago but I haven’t seen the other one for ages. She is someone who it is always great to catch up with but she has had a really awful time over the last few years, as her sister was killed a few years ago and she has never come to terms with it. Not that I suppose you ever quite come to terms with such things. She has had to admit herself to psychiatric hospitals a couple of times because the depression has got so bad. The last time this happened, one of the doctors said to her that because she is a very strong atheist that she will always find it harder to ‘recover’ than most people. Basically the doctor said that even if it is just a vague belief in some kind of spiritual life then there is a far greater possibility of dealing with life crises and so on. I can’t imagine that was the most helpful or encouraging thing to be told but she is pretty resilient regardless. Anyway, it will be good to meet up later even though there won’t be much chance to chat, as that is generally frowned on when you’re watching a film.

On a more positive note, happy birthday to a certain fellow blogger who I won’t name, in case they don’t want to broadcast to the world that it’s their birthday today. Happy birthday anyway though and enjoy the day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there ! Apologies for the random commenting but when google blog alerts pops Press Gang watching into my inbox, I feel compelled to offer my greetings and say that it's a very fine and joyus way to spend an afternoon. As is eating cake.

That is all.

Cathy x

Random Reflections said...

Randomness is my nature, so you're welcome to comment on Press Gang. Pleased to hear you appreciate such a good series.

It was a really nice afternoon and it brings the memories flooding back to watch it. If you haven't already got them I'd recommend the DVDs for many hours of viewing pleasure.

Thanks for commenting.

Anonymous said...

volver

Anonymous said...

I am afraid to say I'm a bit of a Press Gang geek. Have been for nearly 20 years now. I have no shame.*

There are actually loads of us on LiveJournal if you ever feel like betraying blogger, we have a community and we regularly have meet ups and other type geekery which is highly splendid.

Cathy x

*Well, not much.

Random Reflections said...

Anon - gracias

Cathy - I'll check it out. Press Gang geekery - fantastic! I had no idea such discerning people were in existence. This might well change my life.

Anonymous said...

It might well indeed, particularly as we were just lucky enough to meet Mr Steven Moffat over a pizza and ask him stupid questions ! A PG geeks dream !

There's a link to the community on my journal, it's 'Holding On'.

Cathy xx

Random Reflections said...

Cathy - Steven Moffatt, that's actually very exciting. I listened to his commentary on one of the dvds and thought he was very funny. You must have connections in high places!