Friday, September 29, 2006

Moscow Calling. This is Moscow calling.

Well, just a brief post for now. I arrived in Moscow on Tuesday, set off for Siberia on Wednesday and then back to Moscow today - that is a very long way and a lot of time zones in a very short space of time. I'll fill in the details when I get back home, but it has been good so far. The thing is though that it is strange to be in a place where you don't understand the language at all - you don't even recognise your own name for that matter - and you have to hope that there is someone nearby who can translate for you. I guess it makes me feel a bit lonely to feel as though I have absolutely no idea what is going on a lot of the time. Strange.

Don't get me wrong, this is a really interesting place and going to Red Square on Tuesday night was fantastic. All the Russians have been really friendly too, despite us not being able to understand each other, and I even danced with one last night who was this really lovely gentlemen. The fact that we coudn't speak to each other was no bar to him kissing my hand and whisking me on to the dance floor and when the music ended, he kissed my hand again and we went our respective ways. It was really nice though and makes me smile just to think about it.

It has been good so far and I have seen a lot of different places and most of the weekend we are seeing various parts of Moscow, but there is just that little bit of me that feels a bit lost in it all, and I don't mean in some romantic way. Anyway, I shall continue to take in the sights, accept invitations from lovely gentlemen and eat the *vast* amount of food on offer and write about it all some time soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope we are going to get lots of pics.... Don't be tempted to start drinking their Vodka !

Random Reflections said...

I imagine I will post a photo or two, although they might not necessarily be my photos! I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to taking photos.

Last night tonight, and all I want to do is go to sleep (it's three hours ahead in Moscow, I'm not so much of a lightweight that I want to go to sleep at about 7.30pm)

I'm sure there will be tales to tell when I get home. There was dancing, so much dancing... *shakes head in despair*