Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Cured


I met up with a friend from school for dinner last and we had a really good catch up. We went to a restaurant just off Regent Street and it was all very nice. At the moment I am trying to sort my social life out a bit – catch up with a few old friends and make a few new ones. I feel that it is time to be a bit more proactive and this may of course help out on the dating front as well, so it’s all good. There are a few possibilities coming up on the dating horizon anyway, so things seem to be picking up a bit generally.

I spoke to a solicitor yesterday about extending the lease on my property. I have had to find a new firm because my old solicitors don’t do that sort of work. They recommended another firm to me which I called a couple of weeks ago. They turned out to be entirely useless and after a bit of procrastination decided that they don’t do lease extensions, which was surprising as they originally said that they did. So then I got my old solicitors to recommend another firm and spoke to someone yesterday who was really, really helpful and gave me some good advice and suggested a couple of things I could so to cut down on costs etc. He also said that I should talk to my neighbours about potentially buying the freehold, as that might work out better in the long run. So I will do that shortly and then make an approach to the freeholder asking for terms for extending the lease and also for purchasing the freehold. As much as I liked my last solicitors, according the chap I spoke to yesterday they actually gave me a bit of bad advice and despite the freeholder’s unwillingness to engage in the lease extension process could have extended it anyway, but the previous owner would have had to start off the process. That is a bit annoying but there’s nothing I can do about it now.

It seems I may have potentially been sending you all to an early grave by suggesting the other day that you should learn how to cook the perfect bacon sandwich. A study now seems to be showing that bacon and other cured products could damage your lungs and increase the risk of lung disease. You’d have to be eating vast amounts of bacon for this to have much of an impact – at least 14 times a month. Mind you I do work with some people who eat a bacon sandwich every day, so if they combine that with a 50 a day smoking habit then they might be in trouble. Although, in those circumstances they would probably be in trouble without eating the bacon sandwich.

Anyway, so far this week we have learned:

Chocolate: good
Bacon: bad.

2 comments:

het (aka quickfit) said...

serious now.... its not my turn to conduct this experiement.... bacon + chocolate together....
someone else can do it !!

good luck with your lease... I tried to enquire about my leasehold and I have to pay £75.00 just for them to post me the cost for buying out the lease !!

ciao4now xx

Random Reflections said...

het - you give up too easily. I would have though you were up for a challenge like that.

£75! Wow! I suspect the freeholder will try and be obstructive as possible so perhaps I should take that as a warning...