Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Donkey business



On Good Friday I was watching a bit of daytime TV and some programme about animals was on (can you tell I wasn't actually paying a lot of attention, as I have no idea what the programme was). Anyway, a donkey was brought to see a vet because it was ill and its companion donkey had to go with it because apparently donkeys don't cope well on their own. Unfortunately the donkey was too seriously ill to be saved so the vet decided the best option was to have it put down, so the two donkeys were left alone for a while so that they could spend a bit of time together to say goodbye, which would then make it easier for the one that was left behind. It was really rather touching and there was something about it which made me think "I wonder if I am a bit like a donkey?" You might think that this is a classic case of why I should not be left unattended with a TV or the internet, but go with me here...

Anyway, so I had a bit of a search on the internet and came across a website about miniature donkeys and what their personalities are like. Let me take you through this and I think you'll find the resemblance uncanny:


A single miniature donkey would be most unhappy and distressed, they are herd animals and will not thrive well on their own.

Yep, that's me. I wouldn't say I am exactly looking for a herd to be part of but I don't thrive well on my own. I like other people around me and interacting with people. If I was left on my own for too long then I might actually go insane - not least because of the amount of daytime television I would probably end up watching.

Miniature donkeys love to play and pair up for life. A single miniature donkey will pine without a companion no matter how much time you spend with it.

We'll brush over whether I like to play or not *cough* but I am a somewhat monogamous sort and have never been interested in a string of relationships (chance would be a fine thing!), just someone who might be able to tolerate me into my old age would be good. As nice as my friends are, it is never a complete substitute for being in a relationship with someone and sometimes I pine for that something more.

They can become unmanageable if lonely as they will chase you and try to hold you in the field.

Er, well I don't recall ever trapping someone in a field and to be honest if ever I feel lonely I am more likely to withdraw into myself rather than try and hold you hostage.

These donkeys are one of the most affectionate and friendly animals of their kind. They are tame, gentle, loyal, playful and affectionate.

Well, of course, I am all of those and I am normally friendly, unless I have just woken up, have PMT or am travelling on the tube during rush hour.

They are very social animals and like to give and receive a great deal of attention. The more time you spend with them the better.

I wouldn't say I demand a lot of attention (although it has been known on occasion, but I am female after all) but I definitely like spending time with people and I probably thrive off that to a reasonable degree. But I can also be quite attentive and if I was spending time with you I am unlikely to get out a book and just ignore you.

They are easy to train and learn quickly.

Oh indeed, you would not believe some of the tricks that I can perform...

A miniature donkey is a friend for life and should not be considered a short term pet.

Whilst I do have friends who have drifted in and out of my life, I am pretty loyal to my friends and if someone were to get in touch that I hadn't had any contact with for years I'd be fine with that and just pick up where we left off. If you cross the threshold to really being a friend then that is pretty much for life.

Remember folks, I am not to be considered as a short term pet. You cannot just leave me in a cardboard box on the steps outside the RSPCA.

Miniature donkeys are not stubborn - they are just careful.

That is going to be my new mantra in life "I'm not stubborn, I'm just careful".

In the event of perceived danger a horse's instinct is to flee - whereas a donkeys is to look the situation over and determine the best approach.

That does actually describe me quite well. I do tend to take the option of taking some time to weigh up a situation before deciding what to do. Generally my instinct is not to automatically flee from things, although I may duck for cover on occasion.

If they trust you they will go anywhere you ask.

If I trust someone then that is pretty accurate - but then I would probably trust you because I know you are unlikely to lead me off the edge of a cliff. Hopefully.

They love going for walks with their owners, attending shows or a palm Sunday parade.

I do like walking and in fact won the prize for the shiniest coat at the recent Palm Sunday parade.*


*That last bit might not be entirely true. I was actually 'highly commended'.

3 comments:

Pickle said...

>A single miniature donkey will pine without a companion

Aww...

Don't worry, little donkey, you'll find your herd. And what a shiny coat you have!

DAB said...

Bloody hell Random, I've only been away for a few days and I return to: -
..
Ranting.... (S&M) retail therapy…..dating (glad to hear this I hasten to add) and miniature donkeys....

Random Reflections said...

Teeny - I hope my herd is nice and friendly. I am rather proud of my shiny coat though *looks smug*

TF - Do you see what happens when you leave me unattended?! I can't be trusted on my own. Hope you've been away somewhere nice. Welcome back.