Friday, April 06, 2007

Watching



When I got out of bed yesterday I decided that my hair needed a cut so I wandered off out into the sunshine and got my hair trimmed. My life seems to have changed now that I have started to use Supercuts because you can’t make an appointment it is a matter of just turning up. Time will tell what I think of my haircut but at least it is a bit tidier.

I also went out yesterday evening to get a few bits from the supermarket. As it turns out all it was that I bought was yogurt, which didn’t seem worth the trip really. I had wanted to buy some cakes for Easter but Tesco didn’t seem to have any so I’ll go to Sainsbury’s and get them from there instead. Anyway, it was still a really warm evening and there was that stillness in the atmosphere that you get after a day of pleasant weather and when I got back home I could smell freshly cut grass. It was a really nice evening.

The other day I read that there is a new CCTV initiative. This will allow CCTV operators to tell people off for anti-social behaviour. If a member of the public drops litter then the CCTV operator can speak to the offender via loudspeaker and tell them to pick up the rubbish. Apparently this is not Big Brother-ish at all. On Wednesday I believe children were actually used as the voice of CCTV to try and add that extra bit of shame for people who were chastised for their misdemeanours. I can imagine that on a Saturday night it will come in very handy when some fight breaks out and suddenly a mysterious voice appears saying “You there! Yes you! Stop that now! Fighting isn’t nice. Let go of that mans ear. You are very naughty!” I wonder if it might have the unexpected side effect of meaning that church attendance goes up because people think they have heard the voice of God.

On the tube the other day I was very amused when a little boy got on with his mum and asked “Is this a standing train?” It’s good to learn the painful truth of public transport at a young age.

4 comments:

Eddy said...

I saw some footage on the news showing a girl being told off by a CCTV operator and she picked up everything on the street and put it all in the bin and then appologised - it was hilarious. Maybe Big Brother - but I like this one.

Walker said...

It might get dangerous for the cameras if someone is not ready to hear it from a machine.
Here someone would actuall climb up and smash it LOl

Have a Happy Easter

Pickle said...

I think I'd wet my pants if I got barked at by a disembodied voice. So maybe it'll do the trick.

I wouldn't drop litter in the first place mind you...

Imagine Tesco not having any cakes! There's nothing worse than expecting cake and not getting it. Gah!

Random Reflections said...

Based on these comments this idea of talking cameras is becoming more appealing. They could also give out fashion advice - "This message is for the lady in the pink polka dot blouse, purple trousers and lime green scarf - what were you thinking about when you got up this morning??"

James - I really wish I had seen that and that they'd spotted the annoying woman walking along with her children the other day who just chucked her lucozade bottle on the pavement.

Walker - I had wondered if the cameras might just get vandalised. Although they're likely to get a good picture of whoever did it.

Teeny - I'd be terrified as well, I always get caught when I try and do something naughty anyway.

Sometimes Tesco can be a big disappointment. Sainsbury's did the job though.

Happy Easter to you all.