Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Matters of the heart


I was shocked to see the scale of the shooting at a university in Virginia yesterday. I’m afraid that I don’t have much time for the people who say “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”. Yes that is true and yet putting a gun in those people’s hands make them so much more deadly.

I watched the film “Bowling for Columbine” a few years back and thought that was a really good film that highlighted a whole range of issues about guns and gun control. I thought Michael Moore overstepped the line a couple of times in it but ultimately it was difficult to get to the end of the film and think that the “right” to bear arms was a good thing. Yesterday yet more lives were devastated by someone exercising their rights.

Anyway, on a completely different note, I was amused by this story yesterday. It seems that chocolate is better than kissing. Apparently your heart rate increases more when eating chocolate than it does when you’re kissing someone. They tested this in a lab and everything, so it must be entirely true and accurate. I cannot imagine that the results were skewed at all by the people kissing being watched like lab rats in a cage and having their heart rate etc being measured by electrodes being stuck to their head. There is just nothing more sexy and able to make you focus on the task at hand.

I am sure any number of people being offered the opportunity to kiss someone they really fancy or to eat a Mars bar opting for the Mars bar. Hmm… Admittedly you can share a chocolate bar but I think there are other things that can be a bit more pleasurable than that – and also less likely to cause you to put on several stone and then die early from a heart attack. Of course if only one of them is an option, I guess it’s better than nothing, but I think I know which one is likely to make my heart race a bit faster.

6 comments:

weenie said...

Must only apply to chocaholics?

Me, I'd prefer the kiss.

Or a packet of crisps.. :-)

Stopped by via blogexplosion - hi!

het (aka quickfit) said...

I think that I should conduct an experiment that involves chocolate AND kissing... this would be so so much fun... I am going to start this tomorrow, will let you know what happens to my heart rate...
no all I have to do is select victims to use...twirl? smarties? aero? bounty? ooo the choices...

ciao4now xx

Pickle said...

'which one is likely to make my heart race a bit faster'

The goat?

I'm sorry, I'll stop now.

;o]

Random Reflections said...

Weenie- Thanks for stopping by. I think chocoholics may only pick that option due to the other not being available...

Het - I think graphs and diagrams are required. Don't limit yourself on the choice of chocolate the more variables, the more possible outcomes.

Teeny - Should I try and get you the goats number?

het (aka quickfit) said...

r.ref
it works it works it works...
will work on a graph.... but dont have time yet, because this experiement is now a LONG way from over.... oh yea baby,,,,
lol
ciao4now x

Random Reflections said...

Excellent, I look forward to receiving the full report and will then market this for a fortune. Don't have a heart attack though by being a bit too enthusiastic in your experiments.