Friday, April 27, 2007

Temptation

The end of the week at last. I have a nice weekend ahead. I’m going to stay at my sister’s house as my bro in law is away so we are going to entertain my nephew. I think this involves a visit to a farm and going to Crystal Palace and so on. My sister may have arranged this to keep *me* quiet in reality but we’ll pretend it is for the sake of my nephew.

Yesterday I logged onto a computer at work that is a communal area and anyone is allowed to use. Despite all the signs up reminding people to log out of e-mail or bank accounts, I was presented with someone else’s e-mail account. There was that bit of me that was tempted to have a nose or send an incriminating e-mail to someone pretending to be that person. But somehow I resisted the urge and logged out of their account. The things I could have done…

I readthis article yesterday. Is it just me or is there something slightly odd about some complete stranger hugging people, particularly whilst entirely sober? Don’t get me wrong he has obviously tapped into a need, and Juan Mann is probably totally legit but you can just imagine some pervy bloke offering people a hug and having something more in mind than just giving them a nice warm feeling. Quite.

Here’s a video of him and his Juan Mann campaign:



Anyway, wherever you may live feel free to start your own campaign, just watch those wandering hands.

5 comments:

Drama Queen said...

When I was at uni I *must* have left my email open. Someone went in and sent my head of dept an email calling him a, well, you can guess. . .

The explaining I had to do. But then I did end up getting offered some time off to 'recover' from the stress this must have caused.

Which I took even though I wasn't at all stressed, once I'd explained.

missfee said...

i am quite a tactile person but at the same time appreciate personal space... what's so wrong with simply smiling at a stranger... certainly doesn;t amount to assault!

het (aka quickfit) said...

Its good to hug.... but not quite as freely as Juan Mann
on second thoughts I think I would hug him.... just for the hell of it !

ciao4now

Anonymous said...

I read an article about this hug guy yesterday and he was saying that part of why he did it was because there are people walking down the street who are in need of a hug but have no-one to ask. That's one awesome thing to do.

Random Reflections said...

DQ - Eek! Good job you managed to convince them or that could have been an early end to your university career. If ever I use a public computer I wipe everything - search history, clear the cookies, clear passwords. You name it I get rid of it. Not that I'm paranoid or anything...

Missfee - You're alive! In London of course you don't even get a smile. Most people would think you were mad just for doing that.

Het - A trip to Oz for you it is then

LKSN - He probably is tapping into a real old humam need for a bit of physical contact. It's quite sad that there are some people who will only ever get a hug off a stranger.