Friday, April 20, 2007

Feeding the beast


Friday at last. Hooray! Work has been ok this week and I have done a couple of things which have been really enjoyable, the words “work” and “enjoyable” do not often feature in the same sentence for me, so that was good. Yesterday, because of something in particular I was doing, I went into work in jeans which was very odd because I haven’t worn jeans to work for years. I probably could wear jeans to work sometimes but somehow I think I would lose the little authority that I may have by turning up to work looking too casual…

Perhaps it is just me but it strikes me that the media seems to be rubbing their hands in glee at the shootings in Virginia. I do sometimes wonder if they have no sense of the impact of what they broadcast. Do we really need to see the video made by the man who killed all those people? Should we be privy to something that is presumably part of a police investigation and that given that is has therefore not been analysed just fuels speculation and potential misinformation? It worries me that in all likelihood there will be copycat killings and part of what will motivate the next person/ people will be seeing the notoriety that comes from carrying out a mass killing. But it all feeds the 24 hour a day news beast and that appears to be enough reason for them to report it.

Hopefully I have a fairly nice weekend ahead. I’m meeting up with someone tomorrow for what should be a nice afternoon. My Sunday will be cut short though as I have to go away on Sunday night so I can be somewhere for a meeting on Monday. Anyway, I shall leave you with a song that I like at the moment. It’s not a particularly new song, but I like it and think there is something very beautiful about it. It is “Elusive” by Scott Matthews.

2 comments:

het (aka quickfit) said...

A very nice tune... have a wonderful wekend..

ciao4now

Random Reflections said...

Thanks. I hope you have a good weekend too.