Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Battle Wounds

Going back to work was as irritating as I might have expected. Lots of e-mails to read through and then at some point work out if I actually needed to do anything with them. I get lots of e-mails ‘for information’ but to be honest I don’t really want that much information.

Anyway, it was one of those days where a number of people in the section came and spoke to me to discuss their battle wounds from the last week. Several of them had to speak to my boss about where they might end up in the restructuring. The problem is that most people seem not to want to go with him when he moves on to head up a new team. So, one person asked me if there was any way I could create a post so that she could be in my team but, as she already knew, that isn’t going to be possible. I have another person in my team who is being asked to move and her response was “I would rather resign altogether than move out of the team”. Erm, right...

It’s not that I think that I am some fantastic manager and they can’t bear the thought of being parted from me. It’s that most other options mean they will end up working for a control freak. So they would rather stay in my team because I try and shield them from much of the flack and will sit there and listen when they want to walk out and never come back. I work in a really great place.

Actually in the restructuring I think things will get better. We’re merging into another unit and as we will no longer have our current, psychotic, head of unit, things are hopefully going to improve.

I’ve only got to make it through to the end of tomorrow and then I am on leave again...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courage, mon brave: I'd spend as long as humanly possible rearranging paperclips and "pretending" to do something urgent if I were you.

(Of course, I'm not actually as responsible or disciplined as you, so that might account for why I've got a low-powered, irresponsible crappy job. Hmmm... Seems a fair trade-off to be honest! *returns to whittling sticks*)

Anonymous said...

Getting rid of a psychotic head of unit can be a very good thing.

But it can sometimes take the fun out of stressful situations at work. (No more 'wind em up and watch em go' games)

Random Reflections said...

I'm an expert at re-arranging paperclips I'll have you know. I have made a career of it.

I'm also waiting to be able to watch my head of unit go *rubs hands with glee*