Sunday, April 09, 2006

Would you Adam and Eve it

I woke up annoyingly early this morning and I really could have done with a good night’s sleep. Hopefully it means I will sleep well tonight though instead of having that ‘Sunday night before going back to school’ feeling.

Yesterday, I wandered through Leicester Square, which is always a mistake on a Saturday afternoon and definitely was yesterday afternoon as there were just people everywhere. My heart sank when my pager went off but I phoned in and just got a big apology from the person because they had wanted to speak to someone else who happened to have the same surname as me, but had called me by mistake. My pager was actually on vibrate so it wasn’t all bad.

I was going to meet up with WWDD and go for something to eat at a particular restaurant but it turned out to be closed, so we went and ate pancakes instead and had a wander by the Thames. A woman stopped me to ask how to find London Bridge. Being my slightly geeky self, I then proceeded to tell her that I thought it was unlikely she wanted London Bridge, as that is a very boring bridge, and she probably really wanted Tower Bridge, so told her where that was instead. If you search in Google Images you’ll see a) the confusion over what London Bridge looks like i.e. there are pictures of both London Bridge and Tower Bridge; b) that’s it Tower Bridge that everyone really wants to see. This is the second time I have pointed this out this week, as Anna over at Anna Overseas also confused the two in her blog earlier this week. Very strange.

Anyway, WWDD really offended me by suggesting that I wasn’t actually a proper Londoner. This despite the fact that I was born, grew up and still live in London. Admittedly I don’t talk in cockney rhyming slang or spend my whole time hanging out at the local launderette or pub like they do in EastEnders, but there is slightly more to being a Londoner than that. I’m just glad that I spat in her coffee now.

On the way home, I used some public toilets in a station. Maybe it’s just me but I found it slightly freaky that the toilet seats were basically silver mirrors. Why would you want a toilet seat that was a mirror, particularly in a public toilet?? Actually I’m not sure that I want to know the answer to that.

3 comments:

30-Something said...

WWDD's perception of where someone comes from is always a bit off kilter. Whenever she's mimicking my northern accent she makes me sound like Seth of Emmerdale.

Random Reflections said...

Isn't Seth dead? Worrying...

I suggest you stab her with her own razor sharp wit - that'll soon stop her.

Anonymous said...

I *hate* that 'Sunday evening before going back to school' feeling...

*shudder*