Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Better get looking...

So... my landlady has contacted some estate agents to ask them to come round and value the property. She mentioned this to me, as tidying my bedroom could considerably increase the value of the property.

She hasn’t actually got a new job or found anywhere to move to, but she thinks the whole process could take so long that she needs to get going on it. I still have no idea what I am doing about buying somewhere. My friend who I might be buying with still doesn’t know what she is doing about possibly moving to Bristol, so I’m not sure what to do.

I could afford to buy somewhere on my own, but it would be rather different to what I could buy with someone else. I may have said this here before but the thing is that it feels much more daunting thinking about buying somewhere on my own. If you are buying with someone else you share the concerns and the stresses of it. But if you’re buying on your own, ultimately it all comes down to you. People can give you as much good advice as they want but at the end of the day they have to conclude by saying “but the decision is yours”. I’m a bit of a scaredy cat about such things really. I think that is why I am so willing to procrastinate about getting round to buying somewhere.

As I’ve said, I find the process daunting and so am trying to put it off. There are huge pay-offs, not least having a permanent roof over my head, which is what I have wanted, and needed, for so long but still it’s daunting. It’s also that feeling of potentially having to rush things. If I can’t live where I am now for as long as it takes to sort it out that puts a different kind of pressure on and I also don’t like to be hassled my estate agents who say they have “the perfect property”. Well maybe they do, but I like to do such things at my own pace and not be rushed by an over eager estate agent.

Anyway, time to start applying my brain to this and hopefully in the near future start to make some progress.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,I know what you mean about Estate Agents.... little parasites..... but having the key to your own door is well worth the hassle. Good luck

Random Reflections said...

I'll keep reminding myself of that when my head feels set to explode- a key to my own door does sound rather nice...

Anonymous said...

Wow... I'd love to be able to buy somewhere of my own. I earn nowhere near enough even for a 1 bedroomed flat down here :( And I'm too much of a cantankerous old scroat to buy with anyone else!

Good luck with it! And I hope you find the place of your dreams..