Friday, April 14, 2006

Complaining

Despite being on leave, I had a remarkable amount of work to do yesterday. I got woken up my pager at 1.15am yesterday morning, then had to phone into work at about 9am. As the day progressed my mobile or pager just seemed to keep going off with the final call coming in at about 9pm. At one point I had gone out to try and pick up some bits but the number of things I was having to deal with meant that I had to give up and go home. However, someone else has now taken over being on call so hopefully that’s the end of it (until next weekend…).

I looked out the window at one point yesterday afternoon and saw that the cat was enthusiastically eating something. I very bravely went outside to have a look at what it was and discovered it was looked like a baby pterodactyl. I think it was more likely that it was a bird, but it was a very weird looking bird. Mind you as the cat had eaten part of its head, it’s not surprising it looked a bit weird. Anyway, I left the cat to munch away at the creature and when my landlady got home told her about it so she could clear up the remains. It will come as no surprise that clearing up carcasses is not something that I would choose to do.

My landlady is generally pretty laid back. The other day I asked why a panel had fallen off one of the walls and she replied “well, it’s not a complaint, but when you shut the front door it sometimes loosens the board”. I live in a really old house, so you do have to be slightly careful with it sometimes. Anyway, the thing is that it really wasn’t a complaint. I’d asked a question so she answered it, but she wasn’t telling me off. What a contrast to evil landlady...

I was going to say that if this had happened when I lived with evil landlady she would have had me up against a wall, but somehow I think the more smutty of you might have misinterpreted that... *shudder*. However, she would have made me do press-ups and then punished me severely for my negligent behaviour. So, my landlady’s reaction of “it doesn’t matter” (and meaning it) was rather a pleasant surprise. Mind you as her previous tenant amongst other things flooded the bathroom and destroyed the iron and ironing board, I have quite some leeway. Phew!

No comments: