Friday, April 21, 2006

Happy Birthday Ma'am

Our director is a good chap and is someone who it is generally easy to respect. However, he is somewhat preoccupied at the moment because he is getting married next weekend. So, I should perhaps give him some leeway on the note he e-mailed out yesterday.

He was explaining about some of the reorganisation that is going on at work and in it said who my new manager is. This was the first I had heard of it – and in a note that went out to hundreds of people. I was not terribly impressed. The thing is that there were two problems with him communicating it in this way. First, I had specifically asked that the team were given advanced warning of any announcements. Not that we needed to be consulted as such – people don’t generally get to choose their line managers- but it is common courtesy to tell the people who it affects, before you tell everyone else. The second issue is that no-one has told the chap who is now going to be my manager either– and he’s on leave. So he’ll get a nice surprise when he comes back.

I also go back on call tonight having only had a week off. In fact I got paged late one night when I wasn’t on call as well, so it hasn't even been a week. Oh well at least it’s Friday.

Not that I’m a Royalist particularly but it is, of course, the Queen’s birthday today. She does look good for 80 but I guess she has had plenty of staff to take some of the strain off her. Actually, maybe I am a particular fan of hers as she is the only person whose photo I have in my purse, but it might make it difficult to pay for anything or send a letter if I didn’t...

No comments: