Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Razor Sharp

It was painful getting out of bed yesterday morning. It was much too early. I had a serious lack of sleep over the weekend. Sunday night I was planning on going to sleep at a reasonable hour but got engrossed in something and it was 2am before I knew it. Someone told me how tired I looked at work yesterday, so that made me feel much better.

As I have mentioned before, one of the joys of living in London is travelling on public transport. When I was waiting for the bus yesterday morning a chap came and stood near me and got out some nail clippers and started clipping his nails. That constant clipping noise was horrible. Then he got on the bus and continued and then got on the same tube train as me and STILL he was clipping his nails. It was horrible. This is the third person I’ve heard clipping their nails in public in the last six months. I seem to think I blogged about it happening a few months ago but I was also at a main line station a couple of weeks ago and went into a newsagents and the man standing behind the counter got out nail clippers and was just clipping his nails behind the counter, while the clippings just went wherever they pleased. I am beginning to wonder if I am being stalked by people clipping their nails. Surely it isn’t normal to come across this phenomenon?

Then on the way home I sat next to someone who decided he would use the radio function on his phone, but without the encumbrance of headphones. I was quite tempted to turn to him and ask “Why is it that people who play music loudly always have really bad taste in music?” Except there were likely to be two possible reactions- either he wouldn’t realise the pointedness of the question or... he would and I might feel the pointedness of a weapon other than my razor sharp wit. Instead I just sat there like a true Brit and pretended to be oblivious to it. It’s safer that way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh God - I'm with you on the 'People who play loud music have bad taste' one. Every day there's someone on the train with music blaring out of their headphones so loud the whole carriage can hear it!

Is the nail clipping thing a new trend in London that I've never heard of? How odd!

Random Reflections said...

Maybe they think they are being nice by wanting to share it, but somehow I'd rather they kept it to themselves.

I don't *think* it is normal to clip your nail in public, but it seems to be something that I have come across a few times recently. I'm hoping it's not going to catch on...