Sunday, April 02, 2006

Come on the light blues

Where I live is pretty well served by tube stations and there are a whole variety of routes I can take to get into London. Except on tube strike days.

My boss: So there’s a tube strike tomorrow. Will you be able to get in to work?

Me: *serious face * Ooh… well… it could be difficult. I think it would be very hard to find a route into work because of where I live. So probably not.

Anyway, I set off yesterday as I had an appointment in London. I left loads of time and it was just a matter of getting on one tube train and sitting there until I got to my destination. Only then there was a signal failure, so I had to change trains three times and take a really long-winded route to get to my destination. I was late. I hate being late. They were fine about it, but as I had left my hours two hours before the appointment. I was not best pleased to be late.

When I was on the tube on a couple of occasions yesterday passengers offered their seats to women of “more mature years” and were given a somewhat indignant “no thank you”. Maybe they were offended that someone might think they were old. But if someone were to offer me a seat I would say “thanks very much” and gratefully accept. People complain that they don’t get offered seats but when people do make the effort, they get shot down in flames. You can’t win.

I went for a wander in London in the sunshine. I sat in Trafalgar Square for a few minutes and ate a sandwich and then wandered along Charing Cross Road for a bit. I was going to visit a really great bookshop Murder One - except that it wasn’t there… I did later realise where it had moved to and went there and had a browse, but I was a bit concerned that a really great bookshop had closed. If you like Crime novels or thrillers then it is a fantastic shop and stocks pretty much everything. They also stock various romance novels, not that I have ever paid that much attention to that part of the shop. It seems to have moved to a far smaller site, which is a shame, but still is well worth a visit if you happen to be in the area.

I also went to various other bookshops and also looked at some DVDs, but went home entirely empty handed. By the way, Waterstones are doing a 99p deal on about a dozen books at the moment, so if you want to pick up a cheap read then there may be something that takes your fancy. I would have bought a book but I just have nowhere to put them, so resisted the urge.

Today is the boat race. I don’t know why the boat race interests me but it does. I always support Cambridge, despite having no connection to either Cambridge... or the university... or rowing... or do any sport particularly... But I have always supported them and have watched many a race. So here’s hoping that they win this year.

2 comments:

30-Something said...

"but as I had left my hours two hours before the appointment. I was not best pleased to be late."

And that is why people should not live in London. I rest my suitcase.

Random Reflections said...

But because we're all so friendly in London, we all just chatted away on the train and exchanged anecdotes.

Or perhaps not...