Friday, April 28, 2006

No more blue sky thinking

So it’s one of those weekends when I have to work. I could really do with not working this weekend, as I have not had the best week, mainly due to having somehow injured my left arm (but more on that another time – not that there’s much to tell).

Anyway, weekend working… It began with an early start today, which is why I am in the office already and then working through until 9pm tonight. Then starting again at 9am tomorrow through to 7pm tomorrow night. As ever, my head of unit has turned this into a complete logistical nightmare. I was doing day shifts, then I was doing nights, then I was back on days and then she wanted me to do a combination of the two but in the end I am back on days. Very long days, for no pay.

I stayed in a hotel last night because of the early start today and am staying in a hotel again tonight. Last night there were three of us in the hotel but tonight it’s just me. So it’s not going to be the most exciting evening ever. We told my head of unit that hotel will be £84.50 a night and this look of disgust went over her face as if we’d said we were staying in a cardboard box on the Embankment and she said “Are you sure you’ll be ok with that?” We assured her that despite slumming it in a three star hotel somehow we would soldier on. Although having said that it was the world’s smallest hotel room, but as I usually sleep with my feet in a wardrobe, I suppose I am used to compact.

I was staying at the hotel with someone else from my office and we went out for dinner and then in search of some food supplies to keep us going during the day today. I am not terribly into gossip but the things I learnt about some of my colleagues were surprising and eye opening, to say the least. Anyway, it was a nice evening despite only leaving work at about 8pm.

It’s going to be another long day today, in every sense of that phrase, so when I need to drift off to a happy place, I shall peer out the window and do some cloud appreciation and watch the world go by.

No comments: