Friday, March 24, 2006

End of Waiting

Fortunately, I am someone who can admit when their wrong. It turns out that the hired help had put my insurance documents somewhere very safe i.e. mixed in with a load of leaflets that had come through the door. I suddenly noticed there were some letters mixed in and when I checked there was the letter I had been waiting for. Fortunately I realised this before I got all fierce with my insurance company. They are incompetent and have regularly got my insurance documents wrong, but this time they were not at fault. Once they had to reissue my insurance documents about five times as they kept spelling my surname wrongly. I mean how difficult is it to spell ‘Reflections’? Obviously there will have to be a disciplinary for the hired help. Where does one get good staff these days? Anyway, today I am more sheepish than fierce like a bear.

I was pleased to hear that Norman Kember has been freed. It has to be said that it was looking dodgy whether he would get out alive and must have been a horrible ordeal. Whilst working in Iraq was perhaps not the best choice, it’s a good outcome. I have read various accounts of Western hostages held in Beirut like Terry Waite and Terry Anderson. Norman Kember’s release reminds me of a poem by Konstantin Simonov quoted in Terry Anderson’s (who was a US hostage) biography.

Wait for me, and I’ll return.
Only wait very hard…
Wait. For I’ll return, defying every death.
And let those who did not wait say that I was lucky.
They never will understand that in the midst of death,
You with your waiting saved me.
Only you and I know how I survived
It’s because you waited as no-one else did.


Indeed.

Anyway, on less serious matters, hopefully all is now set for me to get my new car tomorrow. I’ve got to get up early and drive to Bristol to go and pick it up. We’re meeting in a McDonald’s car park. Doesn’t sound dodgy at all does it? So, if I fancy picking up some drugs and hardening my arteries by eating a Big Mac, then it is the ideal location. Woo-hoo!

No comments: