Thursday, March 09, 2006

Neighbourhood Watch

I was very naughty last night. I decided I wasn’t going to have any dinner, so I had a bowl of cereal and some toast, which is remarkably like what most people would have for breakfast but it was just the easiest thing to eat. I also had a Tunnock’s Caramel biscuit and a cup of tea. However then I decided that I did actually want some dinner, so then proceeded to cook and eat a normal dinner. I did, however, restrain myself from eating a yogurt for dessert.

Anyway, I am coming to the conclusion that I have got very nosey neighbours. When I was moving in my landlady told me that everyone who lived nearby was really nice and it was a really friendly community. Well, it seems that what this actually means is that they like to twitch their net curtains to ensure they know exactly what is going on.

I have never spoken to any of the neighbours – I’m such a friendly sort – but they seem to like to watch exactly what is going on. Once I drove into the road to park my car just as another car was leaving and they came back and watched what I was doing, drove off, then reversed back up the road and had another look. All I was doing was carrying some cardboard boxes into the house.

Then a couple of days ago I parked my car as a bloke was getting into his car and he just sat there and watched which house I went in to. I did try and give him a look as though I was suspicious of what he was doing, but somehow I suspect this was lost on him.

It makes me want to move about under cover of darkness or from shadow to shadow to try and slip through their surveillance procedures. There’s Neighbourhood Watch and there’s being totally nosey and kind of big brotherish in your behaviour.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a downstairs neighbour like that. She knows everything about everyone. And comments to me, when I see her, what she hears from me. Like "Did you go to work late on Tuesday? I heard you walking around." etc. Kinda freaky. Jury's out on whether it's a good or a bad thing yet...

(and no offence meant with the Southerner thing - honest!)

Random Reflections said...

I would be a bit freaked out by that and start to walk round on tip-toe.

If you had an accident and she called an ambulance then that would be good. But if she starts to comment on the content of your rubbish bags then that would be bad...

The Gripes of Wrath said...

You know, I am getting a little disconcerted by your idea of "a bit naughty" - please tell me it was at least a sugary and unhealthy cereal?

;)

Random Reflections said...

It was naughty - it was! I had some weetabix minis with honey and nuts. Ok so maybe we’re not talking naughty like Coco Pops or Frosties, but the alternative would have been Shreddies, so it was VERY naughty by comparison.

*makes mental note to look up the word ‘naughty’ in the dictionary*