Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sun, Spain and stars

I survived Madrid and have made it home in one piece. Lovely weather, being wined and dined, given gifts for speaking... It’s a hard life, but I endured it.

If I were a more seasoned traveller I would obviously have to look with disdain at those who find flying business class worthy of comment. But I think it would generally be fair to describe me as ‘cheap’, so when someone else is paying for me to get free stuff, it’s like all my Christmases come at once.

I arrived in plenty of time to get my flight yesterday, which was a good thing as the queues to get through security were massive. Well, I’m not trying to make you jealous here but while I was waiting to check in, I stood within about two feet of both Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen and Peter Andre. I know! How could one could one person be that lucky?! Don’t shake your head in despair quite so much...

When I finally made it through all the security checks and into the British Airways lounge, I was pleasantly surprised by their facilities. I do usually fly business class with work but I usually fly with airlines like Lufthansa. The most you get with them is free liquorice allsorts, some pretzels and as many beverages as you can drink, which to be honest isn’t the most appealing. So free access to the internet and so on was dead exciting. *Note to self: must get a life*

So, what can I tell you, seeing celebrities (I use that term loosely) and free stuff even before I left the UK, what more could a girl want?

Madrid itself seemed like a beautiful city, although to be honest I didn’t get to see much of it. However, wandering round sunny streets in temperatures of about twenty degrees having just left a rather gloomy and chilly London was really rather lovely. Suddenly I could understand why some people have to escape the UK winter and spend some time in the sunshine. It was a bit like having a cloud lifted – which promptly, literally, descended again when I returned to the UK earlier!

No comments: