Friday, March 17, 2006

Passing Notes

The chap I sit next to at work really makes me laugh. Think Roy Cropper from Coronation Street and you’ll have an idea of the kind of chap he seems to be, but underneath that meek exterior is a really wicked sense of humour and he makes me chuckle a lot. I was meant to arrange for him to move desks a while ago due to some staff changes, but I dragged my feet on it in the hope that it wouldn’t have to happen and my procrastination proved successful.

Anyway a couple of days ago he said to me and a colleague, C, that he needed some advice. We were both intrigued and asked him what it was about. He was slightly embarrassed and just said he wasn’t really sure what to do. It seems that a woman who works in another unit had been sitting by his desk talking to him and when she left there was this small blue card, maybe 4cm by 3 cm, left there on the desk. He picked it up thinking that she’d forgotten it but when he looked at what it was, he wasn’t so sure. On the outside it said “In case you haven’t guessed…” and then when he opened it said “of all the friends in the world, you’re the very best”.

What do you do in that circumstance? Do you phone and ask if they have forgotten something or say thank you or just ignore it? C said he should phone her and see if she had forgotten it but we decided that this could get very awkward- what if this was like in the playground and she was saying that she wanted to be his best friend? He was so bashful and just didn’t quite know what to do with himself. In the end we decided that burying his head in the sand and ignoring it was by far the best way to deal with it, always the best approach in such circumstances I think. But he’s kind of embarrassed about the prospect of seeing her again. Maybe we’re wrong though, perhaps we should go back to those days where you went up to someone at school and asked them to be your best friend. Much simpler days.

I have a new issue to stick my own head in the sand about. It seems that my landlady is looking to apply for a job in Cardiff. One of her children lives there and she’d vaguely talked before about moving there but now seems to be making approaches to organisations to see if there are any suitable jobs on offer. I think my brain is set to implode if I have to move again before I finally buy somewhere. Maybe it will all come to nothing but there’s a huge part of me that doesn’t want to think about it and just wants it all to go away. *sigh*

No comments: