Monday, March 27, 2006

What has the tortoise taught us?

I have had a bit of an ache inside my head for some of the weekend. The computer at home is in a kind of alcove that has a wooden beam running along it. A number of times when I stood up I struck my head rather hard off the beam. It’s not that I am really tall, I am a pretty standard height, but the beam is very low. The thing is that you would expect that when you have done it a couple of times you’d learn and not do it again. However, it seems hitting my head doesn’t even have the added bonus of knocking some sense into me and me therefore learning not to do it again.

On the coffee table at home at the moment there is a booklet that belongs to my landlady called “Countdown to Moving to the Countryside”. Hmm, I think there may be a message there somewhere… I may actually be going to view a couple of properties later in the week. As my landlady was in Cardiff this weekend visiting one of her children she may have got even more of an appetite for moving there, so maybe some decisiveness on my part would be advisable.

I like Tina’s blog over at Cakesniffers Beware. She’s very, very funny and always a good read. Anyway, at the moment she is trying something called Infinite Blogger which I’d try to explain but to be honest she can explain it far better than I could. Bizarre but funny – unless you’re offended by somewhat rude words in which case both her normal blog and her new initiative include some naughty words and might be best avoided.

Oh and the title today is because of the death of a really old tortoise last week. They estimate it was about 250 years old. Sky News did some major story on it at the end of last week which included a timeline going through all the different events in history it had lived through. It’s a tortoise!! I don’t suppose it spent much time discussing what it did during the war or where it was when it heard Kennedy had been shot. Anyway if you speak proper like what I do then the words “taught us” and “tortoise” are pronounced exactly the same and it makes me laugh to say “What has the tortoise taught us?”, but people look at me kind of quizzically if ever I actually ask the question out loud. *thinks* Erm, maybe I shouldn’t be admitting that here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the secret of a long life is walk at 0.16 mph carring a very large chip on your shoulder.

That is my lesson learned here.

Random Reflections said...

Pleased to hear this has proven educational for you. The tortoise is a wise and under-rated creature. We have much to learn.

Anonymous said...

Would an over-sized potato product of any other kind suffice? A McCain's Smiley Face for example, or a maybe a sweet potato wedge for the more GI conscious tortoise? Just wondering, like...

Random Reflections said...

When you have lived 250 years by diversifying to McCain products then maybe it will be worth taking a risk.

But for now I think it best to go with the wisdom of the tortoise...

Anonymous said...

After 250years of plodding round at 0.18mph, I think I would have learned how to skateboard..

Random Reflections said...

Maybe he was learning to skateboard when he cracked his shell?