Sunday, March 05, 2006

I don't care what the weather man says

Since defrosting from Friday evening, it’s been a busy weekend. Starting with me getting up at 8.30am yesterday to switch on the heating.

Anyway, by noon yesterday I’d been to the supermarket, washed my car and put some washing on. Supermarkets do my head in, but even so I seem to spend a large amount of time in them each week. Yesterday I went earlier than I would normally and Tesco was filled with lots of slow old people. No offence to old people but could they not go at some other point during the week? They just seemed to walk slowly along every aisle and cause lots of traffic jams.

The supermarkets near me are rubbish anyway. The main criterion for judging this is if they sell soda farls. If the answer is no, then they are rubbish. I realise it is a limited test, but I find it effective. If I want to go to a decent supermarket that stocks everything I want then I have to go to the Tesco Extra which is about 15 miles away. I tried Morrisons recently but didn’t really like it. I have been to other of their stores and they’ve been fine but the one near where I live is horrible. They do also seem to sell dodgy looking cuts of meat. The nearest Asda to me is quite a trek and is a bit like going to a jumble sale and Sainsbury’s just never stocks what I want. Life can be such a disappointment…

My sister and nephew came over for lunch and it was truly a miracle that I was willing to be anywhere near my nephew as he has some kind of eye infection at the moment. We went for a walk round the nearby reservoir and my sister then went over to see mum for a bit and I looked after my nephew (because mum is ill my nephew couldn’t really go). He snuggled up on my shoulder and was very cute and so I might even forgive him the gunk from his eye that he must have wiped on me. However, he was probably being cute to get me to give him some white chocolate buttons. He already drools at the sight of chocolate. An addict in the making.

Then I went out for dinner with a friend and we went to see the film The Weather Man at the cinema. I think it would be fair to say that you shouldn’t go and see that film if the person you are going with has major depression. It isn’t the most uplifting film and unfortunately the friend I went with is going through a really bad time at the moment. I did actually enjoy the film and found it engaging but if you like your films to be a light-hearted and a diversion from every day life then this isn’t the one for you. It didn’t aid my friend’s depression who hardly said a word on the way home. I’m not selling this film to you am I?

6 comments:

30-Something said...

I agree. Old people should have curfews.

Random Reflections said...

I feel a "keep old people out of supermarkets and off public transport and off the streets" day coming on.

The title might need some work...

30-Something said...

The "Only 2 children allowed" signs in newsagents across the country will be replaced with "No pensioners after the hours of 9.01am".

Random Reflections said...

I shall get out my best crayons and start preparing the signs immediately.

Anonymous said...

What I don't get is when old people (obviously retired) decide they *have* to travel on the bus/train during the rush hour. Taking ages to get out their 10p-plus-bus-pass fare, or taking a very very long time to get on and off the train. (which is reasonable enough - there's a big gap. But during the rush hour??)

And I totally sympathize with the supermarket thing. Asda is about 25 miles from me. Tescos are also a trek as I don't have a car. Morrissons not so bad (technically within walking distance - 40mins), but all the scary people shop there. And they don't help you pack your bags..

Random Reflections said...

40 minutes is walking distance with supermarket shopping? I like walking but I think that beyond the call of duty, although probably preferable to starving of course.

I'll sign you up for the old people campaign. Get out your crayons.