Monday, January 29, 2007

Best Before




I went to my parents’ house for lunch yesterday which was it usual mix of nice food and barbed conversation between my father and I. One of the things that is a definite family trait though is eating out of date food. Don’t get me wrong, it’d not that we don’t regularly go shopping, its just things sometimes get pushed to the back of the cupboard and then a while later you find it and it seems criminal to chuck it out. Yesterday I wanted some custard and was looking through my parents’ kitchen cupboard and found a tin right at the back. It went out of date in August 2005. I ate it anyway.

Last week I ate a Cadbury’s Creme Egg that went out of date in July last year. You’re probably more shocked that I ate part of last Easter’s stash, aren’t you? I’m getting there slowly but surely. I do also realise that Easter eggs are in the shops now anyway (what is that all about? Easter is ages away) so I could have gone out and bought a brand new one, but it didn’t taste any different to me. Do I sound like some OAP who lives in one of those houses which is just filled with things that have been horded for years and is drowning in their own mess?

Just to reassure you, I tidied up loads of paperwork yesterday, as my living room just seemed to have piles of papers everywhere. Amongst all the paperwork I found the cartoon above that I had kept because it amused me. (It was in the London Paper a few weeks ago). You see - you can’t beat a good old bit of giraffe humour. Now I’ve started talking about giraffes it seems I can’t stop…

*I should point out that there is a difference between ‘Best Before’ dates and ‘Use by’ dates. You shouldn’t really eat things beyond their use by date (although that doesn’t normally stop me - within reason) but best before is about the quality of the product, rather than a health and safety issue necessarily. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it… and I don’t want to be sued by anyone who gets ill from eating things beyond their use by date.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, thanks for your comments on my blog. You are welcome to visit anytime!

poet said...

i cannot do that, eat or otherwise ingest anything past the date labelled. it just grosses me out soooo much. milk is especially gross past the date. am i weird?

Anonymous said...

Q: What does Tarzan say when he sees a herd of giraffes in the distance?
....
A: "Hah! You fooled me once with those disguises, but not again!"

Red said...

That little disclaimer at the bottom of your post is what I hear from my husband every time he tries to get me to eat something that was "Best before the Battle of Hastings". Like mayonnaise the other day. I'm sorry, guys, I don't do that. I have had food poisoning one too many times to risk consuming anything that isn't well within date.

What was the custard like?

Random Reflections said...

Jillbeth - thanks for commenting. Welcome.

Poet - What's the worst that could happen? Even I draw a line at drinking out of date milk. A girl has to have some standards.

TF- How about: What do you get when two giraffes collide? A giraffic jam... Sorry, very poor I know.

Red- Your husband is obviously *very* wise. The custard was good. I heated it in the microwave and had it on apple crumble. Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Random, don't give up your day job ;-)
...
I do know a couple of giraffe jokes, which involve alcohol and drugs, but I won't share them here, so you will have to settle on this one....
...
An elephant was drinking out of a river one day, when he spotted a turtle asleep on a log. So, he ambled on over and kicked it clear across the river.
"What did you do that for?" asked a passing giraffe.
"Because I recognised it as the same turtle that took a nip out of my trunk 53 years ago."
"Wow, what a memory" commented the giraffe.
"Yes," said the elephant, "turtle recall".

bmahfood said...

Good post. I think those Best Before and Use By dates are only to protect the manufacturers legally. They are way overly conservative. I never read them. I use my nose to tell if something's gone off. We got along fine before they started putting the dates on everything.

Barry's Best 2007 - http://barrysbest.blogspot.com
The Price of Rice! - http://thepriceofrice.blogspot.com
Central FL Real Estate News - http://cflrenews.blogspot.com

Random Reflections said...

TF - That's about as good as my jokes get I'm afraid. You have x-rated giraffe jokes?? I did chuckle at your latest joke.

Barry - Hi. I follow the sniffing rule myself. I can't really think of when I have ever had food poisoning so I reckon I have built up immunity to pretty much everything.

Walker said...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!
I AM NOT ALONE.

I try my best but I spend alot of time sniffing the jar and then going for it.
If it isn't green,fuzzy and moving it has to be edible right?! lol
Pssssst I got a candy cane here that is at least 8 years old, what do you think eat or dont eat ?

Have a nice day

Random Reflections said...

Walker - Absolutely. I do draw the line at it moving but apart from that I reckon it's worth a go.

I think the candy cane would be fine, it's just sugar and probably lots of really unhealthy additives. Alternatively you could kep it and sell it as an antique in a few years time.