Monday, January 01, 2007

The Good Stuff

So, it’s a new year and time to look back at some of the good stuff, and actually there was probably more good stuff that happened than bad but I think the bad stuff has just had more of an impact. Although having said that, the good stuff kind of eludes me right now, so I might have to come back to this.

Anyway, this year there has been a fair bit of travel - Russia, Gibraltar, Madrid, Germany, The Gambia, Scotland. All very different experiences. In terms of the place that I went to that impacted me the most, I think it was probably Gibraltar, which was mainly because I went from miserable weather and hassles here to lovely sunshine and feeling able to escape for a couple of days. Despite it being for work, it was actually a nice break from things - a change is as good as a rest, as they say. But all the other places were good as well, Russia and The Gambia being by far the biggest culture shifts. In Russia they don’t even use the same written script so it was kind of disorientating and The Gambia was a country of contrasts with some poverty and so on and the whole bartering thing did my head in, but it was a great place to visit.

The most major change I suppose is that I am now a homeowner. That has actually had quite a good psychological impact on me, making me feel as thought for the first time ever I actually have some say over where I live and can do things in my own way. If I want to leave my washing on the clothes dryer for weeks then that’s up to me, and at last there’s no-one going through my underwear!

In the last year I saw more of my family than I have for a long time and whilst that has been rather strained at times I think over all that has been a good thing and hopefully at some point I will work through those things that hold me back. I am not someone who holds up family as this amazing thing, but I think there is still something significant (whether in a good or a bad way) about family. Something to work on in time to come though, at least for my own peace of mind.

In terms of music, at the top has to be Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol, but also When You Were Young by The Killers (and I love their self-named album as well), and I really liked No Tomorrow by Orson. Of course, going to my first concert was great and hopefully will inspire to go and see more. I also went to a recording of a BBC radio programme which was good and I want to try and see more recordings this year too.

It’s been a really mixed year, but it has to be said that there were times when despite everything that was going on around I just felt really, really content and happy with life and that was something that I enjoyed and appreciated so much and I hope for much more of that in 2007.

Happy New Year. I hope 2007 is a good one for you.

5 comments:

Zanne said...

Blessings to you in the New Year! :D

Random Reflections said...

Thanks Zanne. I hope you have a good New Year.

Random Reflections said...

Thanks. Happy New Year to you too.

Anonymous said...

All the best for 2007. Look after yourself..... TF

Random Reflections said...

Thanks. I hope it is a good year for you too.