Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Shameless




I see that giraffes (and out of date food) brings out the friendly side in people. So today we have a baby hippo. Not just a baby hippo, but also a giant tortoise! It’s becoming more and more like Blue Peter on here every day. Animal corner is unlikely to become a regular feature though so make the most of it while you can.

The new job is still going fine. We had a section meeting yesterday morning and I could have just wept. We were *allowed* to know what was going on, people were *asked* what they thought about things, we were *consulted* on issues that are coming up and we are given *responsibility*. This is going to take some getting used to folks. I don’t know if I can cope with this information overload.

By contrast, yesterday I was talking (separately) to a couple of people I worked with until recently and they were both utterly miserable and told me that they are just thoroughly depressed. One has written to HR to see if she can get early retirement and the other has got a new job, which is a really fantastic opportunity, but she says that her current job makes her feel so down that she just can’t get excited about it. Both said to me “you look really happy”. I wouldn’t say I am really happy but I am certainly enjoying the change of atmosphere and potentially having a job that I enjoy rather than endure. Now if I could just sort out the rest of my life things would be pretty good. Give me time...

Anyway, as if you don’t spend enough time on the www already here’s a really nice site. It is a whole load of short films from the National Film Board of Canada. They are really great. I hope they don’t take the site down as they’re well worth a look. Enjoy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As requested (I think?) Here's one of the x-rated giraffe jokes
...
A little rabbit is happily running through the forest when he stumbles upon a giraffe rolling a joint. The rabbit looks at her and says, "Giraffe, my friend, Think about what you're doing to yourself! Come with me running through the forest, you'll see, you'll feel so much better!"
...
The giraffe looks at him, looks at the joint, tosses it and goes off running with the rabbit.
...
Then they come across an elephant doing coke. So the rabbit again says, "Elephant my friend, why do you do this? Think about what you're doing to yourself! Come running with us through the pretty forest, you'll see, you'll feel so good!"
...
The elephant looks at them, looks at his razor, mirror and all, then tosses them and starts running with the rabbit and giraffe.
...
The three animals then come across a lion about to shoot up. "Lion my friend, why do you do this? Think about what you're doing to yourself! Come running with us through the sunny forest, you will feel so good!"
...
The lion looks at him, puts down his needle, and starts to beat the shit out of the little rabbit. The giraffe and elephant watch in horror, then finally obtain the presence of mind to pull the lion off the rabbit.
...
"Lion," they reprimand, "why did you do this? He was merely trying to help us all!"
...
The lion answers, "That little bastard has me running around the forest like an idiot for hours every time he's on ecstasy!"...
.....
So pleased for you on the old job front TF

Random Reflections said...

X-rated jokes and drugs on my blog. What is the world coming to?? You wouldn't want to mess with a lion though would you...

Anonymous said...

Gee I'm so glad now that I didn't tell you the other x-rated giraffe joke I've have....
....
Mental note... "Do not submit any further X-rated jokes as innocent minds maybe corrupted for life'
....
I reckon you are right, Leo the lion could be quite a handful

EuroYank - Virginia Hoge said...

Always nice to see things are back to normal. Great blog!

Random Reflections said...

TF - I dread to think what the other joke was! I am indeed very easily corruptible.

Euroyank - thanks. You look remarkably like someone famous. Pleased to see you have time for mere mortals.

Anonymous said...

Random, that one is firmly locked away in the back room of my mind...
...
I liked your PG Tips advert video. Have you seen the Cadburys Cream Egg advert shown the other night during the Coronation Street commercial break?

Random Reflections said...

TF - No I haven't seen the Cream Egg advert. I'll have to keep an eye you for it and provide feedback.