Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sorted

I had a pretty successful day yesterday and managed to get everything done that I had planned to. I now have a washing machine. Woo hoo! I did some washing yesterday and have another load on now. I am sure the excitement will pass, as it will with hovering, but at the moment the ability to do these things is very exciting. Perhaps I should have made some New Year’s resolutions, such as one about getting a life.

The bloke came round to talk about the burglar alarm and then I got my double glazing keys. The chap found the right keys within about a minute, so it was much easier than I thought. Then I went out with mum to look for a sofa and ordered the one that I saw about a week ago. I really like it and can’t find anything else comparable. There was another sofa that was nice but the chair that went with it was really odd and made anyone sitting in it look like a midget. So in about 6 weeks time I will hopefully have a new sofa and arm chair. My mum paid for it which was really kind of her.

Then I went over to my parents’ and helped mum take down the Christmas decorations. My father was as odd as ever. We were watching TV while we were sorting out the decorations and when dad had finished watching a programme, he just switched the TV off. I just looked at him and asked “what are you doing?” and he said “I don’t want to watch anything else so am going to bed” and I asked him if he had considered that someone else might want to watch something and he looked at me as though I was saying something absolutely shocking. I think mum was pretty upset by it all. Recently it just seems to be getting to her how totally selfish dad is. Because of his stroke he has got so self-absorbed and lives his life by such a routine that it wouldn’t cross his mind to take into account what anyone else might want. Mum was just really quiet for the rest of the evening.

Anyway, time for a brief house related rant. I was talking to my mortgage company about some things to do with my payments and I thought I’d ask a few questions while I had the chance. One of the things I couldn’t quite understand was why my payments stay exactly the same for the next five years (my mortgage is fixed for the next five years) when, although I would be paying vast amounts of interest, I would actually be paying off some of the capital. The chap seemed to be a little vague and so I asked a few more questions like how they take into account overpayments etc as well and in the end I got him to explain how it really worked. Basically even though I would be paying off some of the capital unless I specifically ask them to recalculate my mortgage or I make a lump sum overpayment of £500 they will continue to charge me exactly the same amount every month. This basically means that I would end up paying potentially hundreds of pounds in interest on money that I have already repaid. Even if I made an overpayment of £499 every month unless I trigger them to recalculate my payments they wouldn’t do it. Sadly my mortgage company does not know me well enough to realise that I see such things as a challenge and have no intention of letting the have one penny that I don’t have to pay them, so will be looking for ways to get them to recalculate my mortgage as often as possible. Oh, how they do not know what I am capable of... *evil laugh*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like your style with the mortgage payments thingy, give the boys a run for their money !

Random Reflections said...

Oh I so will... I will try and bleed *them* dry rather than vice versa.

Perhaps I should try and find a new hobby rather than tormenting my mortgage company though.

Anonymous said...

What about woodwork?

Random Reflections said...

Possibly, but we had to do that at school and I don't remember being very good at it. Are you just trying to use me so that I can sort out your door for you??

Anonymous said...

Now would I use you, Random?
...
New pine door fitted today, not by me, looks good!
...
I've been given this hobby marlarky some thought, how about learning circus skills (stop laughing!) it has possibilities like juggling, flying trapeze, tight rope walking. Go on I know you are tempted? Check it out at www.circusspace.com

Random Reflections said...

Hmm, joining the circus. Isn't that what people do when they are running away??

What if I got eaten by a lion or fell off the trapeze? Mind you if I decided it should not just be a hobby but my new career that would still be more enjoyable than my current job.