Saturday, March 17, 2007

Bovvered



Can you see me weeping, weeping in despair?? What was today meant to be?? Yes that’s right, a day to have lie in. Did I get a lie in? Nope (you saw that coming didn’t you). So what happened to ruin my blissful morning of sleep? My mother.

Mum phoned last night just gone 11pm to say that he flight she was due to fly back from Florence on had been cancelled so she didn’t know when she would be back. I phoned and cancelled the taxi she had booked and then phoned my father and told him. I stayed up for ages chatting to my friend and so didn’t go to end until about 1.30am, but set my alarm to go off nice and late this morning. Fine, except that at 7.55am my mum phoned from Stansted and asked if I would go and pick her up. So I dragged myself out of bed, had a quick shower and a cup of tea and drove there to get her. I was meant to sent her a text to tell her I was nearby so she could meet me outside the terminal but at the crucial moment my phone ran out of power so I had to park anyway and go in and find her. Then I drove her home and then went home myself to eat breakfast. I probably ended up eating breakfast about the same time as I would have hoped to anyway, but I wasn’t planning on a major detour to Stansted being the reason.

Where was my lie in?? I was working nights last weekend and was so looking forward to a nice bit of extra sleep this weekend but ended up with about six hours sleep at the most.

Anyway… I now have to think of something exciting to do with my friend who is staying. We were planning on going out this morning to have a cooked breakfast and a nice leisurely morning but will now have to think of something else to do instead. Last night we went out for dinner at a very classy greasy spoon and I had some gammon and my friend had egg and chips. The local yoof were out and causing trouble but they seemed to be used to it in the café and just ejected any unsavoury characters as soon as they set foot through the door. Mind you there were a couple of teenage girls who were in there, one of whom seemed incapable of even responding to the chaps questions about what she wanted to eat and she then proceeded to spend the entire meal time talking on the phone to someone and totally ignoring her friend who was sitting opposite her. It seems that the art of conversation is not entirely dead, it just can’t be directed to anyone who is actually in the same room as you.

Totally changing the subject, I was really shocked to see on the news last night that Sally Clark is dead. I think that’s really sad. At the moment it isn’t clear what the circumstances of her death were but she has had the most miserable life for almost a decade and is now dead. I think that’s really sad and must be horrendous for her husband.

Anyway, on a lighter note, go here to buy the Shaggy Blog Stories book, as brilliantly compiled by Mike Atkinson over at Troubled Diva. I am sure it will be a good laugh and it will maybe introduce you to lots of new blogs as well. As if that isn't enough then I have to say that I was impressed by Tony Blair taking part in Comic Relief last night. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Pickle said...

I was really shocked to hear about Sally Clark as well. I have to admit when I saw the headline my first thought was 'suicide'. But apparently she wasn't in the best of health. Whatever the cause of death was, it's tragic - her poor husband.

Hope you manage to get more sleep tonight!

Random Reflections said...

Yes the Sally Clark thing is really sad and her husband must feel as though he has lost everything.

I really want to go to sleep now but it seems a bit rude given that a friend is visting...

Anonymous said...

thank you for coming over and leaving us your kind wishes. we appreciate it very much. i hope you get some rest, and it is so thoughtful of you to aide a friend in need. take care.

Random Reflections said...

Hi Poet. I hope things get a bit better soon. Thanks for stopping by.