Sunday, March 04, 2007

One was entertained



I met up with my mum yesterday and we went to see the film The Queen. I have to say that I really enjoyed the film. It was very engaging and focused on the Royal family around the time when Princess Diana died - although, obviously various parts of the story were fictionalised. I’d forgotten a lot of the furore surrounding Diana’s death and quite how big the public response was to it all. I thought it was gave a really interesting portrayal of the Royals and Tony Blair, although it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. I actually cannot remember what I thought about the Royal family not returning to London. I think it all probably washed over me, but I do remember turning on the TV the morning that she died and hearing the news and phoning my parents about 8.30am to say that Diana had died because it was such shocking news.

After the film I went over to my parents’ house for dinner and whilst the food was nice, it was yet another evening of feeling really frustrated with my father. I just find him so hard to get on with and revert to dealing with him like I am strop teenager, which totally does my head in. He is just so self-absorbed and is totally oblivious to what anyone else may want. He cannot go beyond his daily routine, so even if you are in the living room he will switch off the TV and turn off all the lights because he is going to bed. It really frustrates me to feel the way I do though so I’m going to have to find some way to deal with it differently because my attitude irritates me and I don’t like feeling the way I do about it all.

Anyway, if you want to be more environmentally friendly but are rubbish at working how to do this or think that it won’t make any difference then Crap at the Environment (CATE) could be the very thing you have been looking for. Basically it’s meant to be a potentially enjoyable and fun way to maybe in a small way make a difference – and if it does make no difference then at least you’ve tried, and you’ve had a bit of fun along the way. With credit to Stand on the Right for pointing this out.

Another blog I sometimes read is In Search of Adam. The blog owner is (soon to be published) author Caroline Smailes. She’s seems like a nice sort – friendly, kind hearted and other such good things, so I was very amused when she posted a list of things that she hates the other day. It seems that when she started she just couldn’t stop! I think the lesson from this is that sometimes it is safer to leave all those evil thoughts inside your head or else you might not be able to step foot outside of your front door without ranting and whipping out your biro to add yet another item to the list. Be warned.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Hello.
Wise wise words. I was fed up with being nice, but now my list is rising and rising.
You are not on it. You seem most nice. Glad to have found your blog.

Random Reflections said...

Caroline - hello to you too. Sometimes being nice can get a bit too much, but you seem to have released a demon... I am pleased I am not on your list and yet somehow feel strangely left out. Women, we're so fickle...