Thursday, March 08, 2007

Reunited

I had a successful time away with work. This was after I had managed to drag myself away from my new sofa and armchair. I sat on each of them, bade a tearful farewell, set the burglar alarm to keep them safe and then headed off to work.

I was staying in a really nice hotel. So nice that they even gave you a rubber duck to use in the bath:




I don’t think I have ever been to a hotel where they have given you a rubber duck before. This was perfect for my usual ‘stay at a hotel’ plan which involves me having a nice long bath. Er, actually that isn’t much of a plan is it? Anyway, this time it involved a rubber duck, which therefore has taken my somewhat limited plan to a whole new level.

We had a really nice dinner which included some absolutely delicious lamb followed by some really nice cheese. There was so much food that even I couldn’t eat it all. I only knew one other person who was there, and him only vaguely, so it was a good way to get to know people and everyone was very friendly.

When I flew back I discovered that if you are flying with BMi on a full price economy fare you can still go in the business lounge, so we went and used that which was handy. While I was away I discovered that the chap I vaguely knew lives just down the road from me and he had booked a taxi so I hopped in as well and got home in a fraction of the time it would have taken me by public transport. Marvellous. On the flight I was sitting next to a very friendly Nigerian chap who I think was keen to get to know me. He offered to buy me a cup of tea on the flight and seemed rather hopeful that I was going to be at the airport for a while after we had landed as he had several hours to kill before his next flight left. I assured him I would be heading straight home.

When I got home I was reunited with my sofa and armchair, but the moment was short lived as a bulb blew in the kitchen. Then later in the evening the bulb in the living room went a well. I tried to change it but the bit you slot the bulb into just disintegrated, so there was no way to fit a new bulb. I dug out a couple of lamps and will have to use those until I can get it replaced. I have texted a friend to see if he will do it for me and will see what he says.

I also spoke to my mum briefly who reminded me that I am busy all weekend as I have to work – and annoyingly I am doing nights. I am not looking forward to this at all and my heart just sank when mum said it as I had (temporarily) totally forgotten. So tomorrow I need to try and sleep in really late and then set off early afternoon to the place where I’m working and then maybe have a brief doze in a hotel before starting work. Then I will sleep in the hotel all day Saturday before going back to work until the early hours of Sunday morning. *sigh* I really could so without this, although I do get paid (a pittance) for doing this.

I can’t promise anything that quite compares with shaving a yeti, however, I have a new site for you to look at. Today I resent you with Rate my cow, which is just what it says it is - a site where you rate people’s cows. Steady yourself and only view this site in small doses if you think this could turn into a problem for you.

4 comments:

Doug The Una said...

Hot, not hot cows? Good idea.

It's the little things that make all the difference. A rubby ducky and I might never cme home.

Random Reflections said...

Doug. Thanks for your comment.

There's something for everyone on the www - including those who have a liking for cows.

I was very excited by the duck. I could come home though, as the duck accompanied me (which was allowed by the hotel, I'm not one of those people who fills their suitcase with everything that isn't glued down at a hotel!)

You write a lot of blogs and also have good taste in books - Brave New World, the Phantom Tollbooth etc.

Pickle said...

Free rubber ducky?! That IS a posh hotel...

I couldn't get onto the cow site. Gutted. Although I think it might be a let down after the yeti shaving.

Boo for working - especially nights, and ESPECIALLY weekends.

Random Reflections said...

It was quite posh, the only problem with it was that the only channel on the TV that seemed to work was ITV. The duck made up for it though.

I think you might well have been disappointed with rating a cow compared to shaving a yeti. It's pretty hard to top that.

I am so unimpressed at having to work this weekend, including that it is nights. I think the people working days actually do slightly worse though as they will have to get up about 3am so we can finish at 5am. I have no idea why we are changing over in the middle of the night. At least I get paid for working overtime for once...